Content development can be defined as the process of researching, producing, and publishing information to meet a strategic organizational goal. That goal will either be to build a connection with an audience or to boost some kind of marketing or sales outcome.
Content development is therefore a critical part of a content marketing strategy. Content creation is the process of identifying a topic to write about, deciding which form you want the content to take, formalizing your strategy (keyword or otherwise), and then actually producing it. In addition, most content creation processes involve thorough rounds of edits and revisions with other stakeholders before content is ready for advertising. Thus, in this article we are going to talk about guidelines for eLearning content development.
Some Guidelines for eLearning Content Development
The following are some guidelines for eLearning content development –
- Define Your Goals – Great content is created to fulfill a particular purpose, and this purpose needs to be clearly defined. Ask yourself if you are creating content to enhance brand awareness, improve search ranking results, generate leads, attract users or past customers or something else altogether. Once you have clearly defined what your goal is, you need to determine if an effective content development strategy is in fact the best way to achieve them. Don’t assume content is the only thing to be repaired in every situation.
- Research Your Target Audience – Your eLearning content strategy can be effective when you know your audience better. Valuable information can be gleaned by checking what the audience is positively responding to, which content they engage with, and which social media platforms they share their experience on. Your goals for creating this content are to increase average time on the course, decrease bounce rate, and increase site visits.
- Focus on Your Niche – It’s a sad fact that the Internet is full of content that shouldn’t be there. This online content either already exists elsewhere and is simply modified and reposted, providing no real value. To avoid having your eLearning content lost in that pack, create courses that stands out, are unique, have a distinct voice, and, most importantly, offer genuine value to learners. The more specific you are, the greater your chances of establishing yourself as an authority in the field, whether learners are looking for information and learning.
- Measure Your Results – One of the many guidelines for eLearning content development are measuring results. Measuring the results of your content development efforts is one of the most important aspects of developing an effective content development strategy. Putting out content without analyzing learner feedback is as similar to having a phone conversation on mute. You need to know what your audience responded positively to, as well as what they didn’t like, and why.
- Listen to Your Customers – While data analysis can be a very useful tool, it gives only black and white figures on a spectrum. Access the rest of that spectrum by really listening to your users. Your customers need to know they are being heard on the website and social media, so ask them for feedback and suggestions. Also speak to other members of your staff to get a better understanding of the needs of the users. Reaching out to your customers and responding to their feedback enables you to gather valuable user data, and it also shows them that their views matter.
- Amplify Your Content – A sound eLearning content development strategy and targeted content creation make up only the first part of the equation. The final step is amplification of the content. To amplify your content, determine the platforms your audience is frequenting online, and then publish your courses on those channels to reach them. You’ll need to think strategically and logically, in order to identify all the resources available to you and then harness the power of employees, customers, and influencers to really boost your content.
As we can see, creating a great eLearning content development strategy isn’t rocket science, but it can be a little challenging to implement. One should expect to encounter barriers and go through lots of trial and error. Once you have the recipe for success, all you will have to do is repeat the process to see the kind of audience growth you’ve always dreamed of.