Diversity hiring is a hiring process which is free from bias regarding the candidate’s race, religion, age, sexual orientation, and other characteristics. The main objective of diversity hiring is to identify and remove the potential biases which can come in sourcing, screening, and shortlisting candidates. Diversity hiring will enable to hire candidates which are diverse and qualified.
There are different ways to hire diverse candidates.
- Post the job on diverse job boards:
- There are diverse job boards like job boards for autism, military spouses, people with disabilities, veterans, etc. Jobs should be posted on these portals also apart from the general ones.
- Offer internships to the underrepresented group:
- It is a great way to increase diverse hiring. Internships encourage people to understand the industry and then join it. It is a great way to create pipeline.
- Organization can reach out to schools and different community groups to connect with students. Most of the time, communities do have their own programs, organizations can collaborate and help the students to grow.
- Encourage diverse employees to refer their connections to the organization:
- Creating a candidate referral program is a good strategy to hire people. Employees who belong from diverse background can refer their connections. In this way, employees will feel that organization values different backgrounds.
- If the organization wants to hire people for a specific background, it should reach out to the employees of that background. Encourage them to share the job ads. Both the employees and potential candidates should feel that the organization value their presence and they are important for organization’s growth.
- Create an employer brand which promotes diversity and inclusion:
- Employees should feel and realize that the organization values people and opinion from all walks of life. Management should encourage diversity and educate employees about its importance.
- Organization should create an employer brand that values diversity. This will work as a buy-in for the employees and they will spread the word with their connections. Moreover, diverse candidates will seek out to the organizations who truly believe in diversity and inclusion and truly value the ideals.
- Policies should be inclusive:
- Organizations should provide flexible working hours. Include more of religious holidays, community events, etc. Providing more flexible working hours will enable people to get involved in their community events.
- Management should also encourage people to speak up if any policy is hindering diversity. Having an honest and open conversation will encourage people to open and help organization to become more diverse.
- Use blind resumes:
- It is an increasingly popular recruiting technique to remove biases from the screening process. Resumes should not have any personal information like date of birth, religion, school, location, etc. These things do contribute to some form of bias unconsciously.
- Use AI to review resumes:
- To ensure that there is no bias in the screening process, organization should use AI for first level of selection. It should have filter for specific skills, and experience. Let AI use these filters and shortlist the candidate for the second round. This will lead to complete impartial shortlisting of candidates.