Train the trainer programs have gained immense popularity in the recent times.
Train the trainer programs give the right tools and techniques to trainers to conduct effective training sessions. While skills like communication are learned over a long period, knowledge about adult learning principles, audience engagement and facilitation skills form an important part of train the trainer programs.
Such programs are generally conducted by specialized training companies and can even be done in-house by the organization.
Let’s talk about some advantage and disadvantages of in-house training of trainers. This analysis will help us decide whether to outsource to specialists or design such train the trainer programs internally.
Here are some advantages of in-house train the trainer programs:
- Cost effective: Training from professionally recognized institutions has a training costs. Opting for in-house trainer within an organisation curbs down the training cost and makes the learning more economical. It also saves the cost of travelling to a different institution to pursue the certification course.
- Problem specific learning: In-house trainers aim at solving the specific problem areas that the firm recognizes internally. In public train the trainer courses, there is no common learning platform and courses are designed for majority. In-house programs can follow a methodology that focuses on the skills that are required, while does not waste time on problems that are not faced by the organization.
- Customization: The groups that are formed for the learning programs are customized among the members of the firm. They are grouped on the basis of their problem areas.
- Convenience: The employees are able to handle their job along with the certification courses. The timings are so scheduled that the work designation to the employee are not hampered. They can easily balance the two and at the same time excel in either of them.
- Knowing your Company: The different approaches of the train the trainer model involve seminars and workshops. Delegates from all the departments are present at such meet ups. They offer knowledge gathered from their experience. Employees get an opportunity to meet successful people of the firm and learn more about their journey and gain knowledge to mend their challenges.
Some disadvantages of in-house train the trainer programs can include:
- Administrative burden: Loads of planning is required to carry out such training and certification programs. The L&D and HR function is already surrounded with a lot of work pressure. To top all those, this might seem to be an administrative burden. However, if overcoming this situation in a positive manner can be made possible; there is vent for a heavy benefit in terms of cost spent.
- Serious attempt to education is at times interrupted: As the training is being imparted within the firm and the schedules are offered depending on the work of the employees. In such a situation there is a tendency for the learning to gain a back seat as there is no pressure on the side of certification.
- Networking is hampered: There is no scope to meet trainers for other firms. This curbs down the opportunity to learn of what is going on beyond your organization. The interaction is restricted within the employees of the business firm only. Networking is beneficial because it aids to gathering experiences and situations that executives belonging to different business firms get to experience. It either makes you inform your officials of some improvement that your mates from neighbour organisations enjoy or makes you proud of the advancements the firm you are working for is providing you with.