Cloud computing provides a lot of facilities starting from providing virtual machines, data storage, managed utility services like databases etc. But the most widely used services due to which cloud is mostly used is Cloud Storage Services. Different cloud providers provides their different storage and backup services like Alibaba provides its Object Storage Service (OSS), AWS provides simple storage service (S3) etc. Companies used data storage services for the data redundancy even if their infrastructure is not on cloud, since the data is very critical and sensitive. Another reason of using these services by companies is the scaling of the storage i.e. storage option has no longer any limit for storing data. Cloud service provider like Alibaba and AWS provides infinite storage capacity for the data. In this article we explore the data backup and data storage solutions available in the cloud.
Data Storage on cloud: We can simply call as cloud storage. It defines as a model in which we can store the data on the cloud and access it from anywhere using the internet. It is managed and operated by the cloud service provider like Alibaba, AWS, Azure etc. Companies go with these solutions since cloud storage is scalable according the application and storage requirements. These Cloud providers enables you to store any kind of data whether it is audio, video, documents etc. with infinite scaling. As per an ongoing overview led with in excess of thousand business organizations and clients around the world, the quantity of associations increasing upper hand through high cloud selection has relatively multiplied over the most recent couple of years and by 2017, general society cloud administrations advertise is anticipated to surpass $244 billion.
Advantages of Cloud Data Storage:
- Accessibility: The first major advantage of cloud storage over traditional storage is accessibility. While hard disks offer local access to information, cloud storage offers unlimited access to data, if the users can provide the necessary passkeys and if the computer has internet access.
- Cost Efficiency: Cloud storage is very efficient. According to the recent online polls on cloud storage, the average cost of one gigabyte of storage space is around 3 cents. Since local storage used hard drives which are expensive to buy, cloud storage offer a better solution with unlimited scaling capability very quickly.
- Faster Synching of the data: Cloud solutions provides faster synching of the data from across all the stored devices i.e. if you have commit a change on one devices it can get synched on other devices in no time & users would be able to access the latest data from anywhere using internet.
- Disaster Recovery: Companies using the cloud storage solutions for the redundancy of the data and data recovery solutions. If something happens with the files on the local storage, you can access the cloud and recover any amount of data from the cloud in no time.
- Increased Security: Most distributed storage suppliers tend to include additional layers of security conventions. They do this keeping in mind the end goal to keep your documents and organizers from either winding up in the wrong hands or from being lost.
Data Backup On cloud: We can call it cloud backup. It is type of service which is used to create, edit, restore the data. This is done over the internet. This is also called online or remote backup.
Types of data backup
- File-system Backup: This type of backup includes the backup of the basic configuration and installation files.
- Database-DB files: This is generally utilized as a part of most database reinforcement cases. The database will reinforcement the exchanges to guarantee a protected checkpoint of recovery. In this situation, the supported record covers information, client relations and even put away systems. It must be recouped to a similar run time of the database as a physical reinforcement.
- Database import and export: In this type of backup, data is exported from the database instance into the XML or any other files. Now these files are used to imported the data later on. However some database schema will be lost.
Companies are more and more using the cloud data storage and backup solutions as these are cost efficient and easily accessible. It also provides the data redundancy and data protection.