In this persistently evolving era, there is immense pressure on individuals, especially in the work arena. It is maybe because of incorrect recruitment and placement. It is examined that in multiple firms’ employees are not assessed according to their talent and competency skills, that’s where you require an effective and efficient Competency Mapping model.
Competency mapping may appear like a complicated process at first, however, that is simply not the case. It symbolizes the process through which the requirement of a job is analysed. It evaluates the set of skills and mindset required to perform a job efficiently. A competency mapping model, could be made with several approaches or methods, let’s see some of them:
Methods of Competency Mapping
So, the basic general procedure of competency mapping comprises an identification of the department, preparation of job analysis, acquire employee skill data using any competency tools, now with the analysed data, create a competency calendar and place employees as per their skills and its levels. Now this was the actual procedure, but there was a step where you need to apply competency mapping tools, so here are some tools which you can include while creating a competency mapping model.
- Questionnaire: A questionnaire is a set of questions aligned to analyse one’s personality. In reference to competency mapping, there are different types of questionnaire’s prepared to evaluate the skills and thought process of employees. Some of the questionnaires are-
- (i) Metric Questionnaire: This questionnaire comprises of questions like background, interaction among peers and public, mental and physical wellbeing, work environment, and decision making.
- (ii) Functional Job Analysis: In this section, the questions belong to language, mathematics, quantitative and qualitative reasoning, people and work environment. This type of questionnaire helps in evaluating behavioural and reaction qualities.
- Critical Incidents Technique: This technique imply analysis through real-life instances on the job only. Here supervisor or the leading authority is required to create a report where he will list down the positive and negative attributes of the employee. Also, he needs to mention the instances where the employee was successful or unsuccessful. This is helpful in analysing the personality of the person along with his behaviour.
- Personal Interviews: Personal interview is the best technique to determine a person. A properly structured interview is always helpful in assessing an individuals’ personality. Also, once you can figure out the prospects and inclinations of the employee, you will be able to match it with competency mapping model prepared for the required job and analyse the suitability.
- Psychometric Assessment: Psychometric assessment is a tested system which helps complete analysis of an individual based on specific standards. Majorly there are 2 sections of this assessment namely achievement test and aptitude test. The aptitude test signifies the diversion of an individual towards a arena, and achievement test signifies the proficiency of an individual in an area.
- Assessment Centres: This method comprises of real-life activities, which are provoking in order to introspect real-life behaviours of aspiring employees. These activities could be group activities and discussions which reflect actual urges of job scenarios.
To sum up, you can note that Competency mapping model is the best choice when it comes to recruitment and training. With competency mapping, you will be able to cut down the excess training cost and, also it will give you an idea of designing the best way of training for your employees. So today only indulge Competency mapping in your organization in order to overcome excess employee training cost.