Together with the terms “online learning” and “virtual learning”, e-learning is a way to gain access to knowledge and information based on the use of new technologies allowing access to online, interactive and sometimes personalized training through the use of internet or other electronic devices such as computers and mobile phones. E-learning is the practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using and managing appropriate technological processes and resources. E-learning videos play an important role in making a successful training course, hence making learning customized and the learner instantly connect to the content of the course. Since e-learning continually aims to develop convenient and effective training for learners, it becomes a difficult task when resources are limited, and the budget is fixed.
Thus, in this article we are going to discuss Cost-effective ways to create interactive e-learning videos.
Importance of Videos in Online Training
In an era where information is power and can be accessed anytime and anywhere in the blink of an eye, where does e-learning stand in captivating its user’s attention? It is well known that e-learning is a convenient learning process that constantly aims to make learning an engaging and effective experience for the learner. E-learning videos hence play an important role in enhancing such features and making the learning experience as interactive and informative as possible. According to Don Taylor’s first Global Sentiment Survey 2014, video is the highest ranked among the various tools used to enhance the e-learning process as recommended by learning professionals across the globe (Source: GSS, 2014).
Sometimes an e-learning course is incomplete or falls flat without a video. Adopting video-based learning makes good sense if the goal of the training course is retention. E-learning videos make it easier to retain information by representing text more appropriately along with audio and other visual representations. The features make learning more interactive, engaging as well as informative. A report compiled by Cisco found that once learners experienced multimedia modules, their knowledge in higher order skills increased by 32 percent. The same skills, when presented without media only increased by 20 percent (Cisco Annual Survey, 2015). Hence, videos play a significant role in enhancing the e-learning process.
Below are discussed some of the advantages of e-learning videos:
- Video engages learners in a way the audio and text cannot. Because learners make use of their senses simultaneously (sight, sound), they’re more likely to retain the information for future application.
- Video breaks up the monotony that is a characteristic of informational modules. Instead of reading through chunks of text or disengaging with audio alone, movement and context brings the concepts to life for learners.
- According to the Visual Teaching Alliance, 65 percent of the workforce is made up of visual learners: Individuals who learn best when shown a visual representation of a concept. E-learning videos respect those who learn through visual representation and enhance their learning capacity.
- Video can dramatically cut your training time. After all, you’ll show a way lot greater than telling, and learner grasp the technique even faster when shown.
- Video increases demonstrable knowledge. When learners are shown additionally as told, they’re more likely to leave training and apply that knowledge to their work, therefore increasing training ROI.
Cost Effective ways to create Interactive E-learning Videos
E-learning videos do not have to be pricey. Since the goal of any successful e-learning course is to be interactive, engaging as well as informative, several tools and features have to be used in order to make it as effective as possible. However, these functions require great costs that need to be paid. E-learning videos, too require great costs to be paid on features, editing, collaboration etc. Listed below are some cost-effective ways to create interactive e-learning videos:
- If you have a budget, don’t spend it on a scriptwriter. Instead, use that money to rent a knowledgeable inquirer.
- Don’t try to tape everything at once. Help your subject get all the way down to the core part of his or her story by multiple takes.
- You can also create your own customized content.
- Scripts and studios aren’t necessary to get started. Just get your individuals talking and begin photography with your smartphone.
- You can link clips from your organization’s in-house video library or the Internet.
E-learning videos are one of the most effective tools in making learning interactive as well as informative. They easily represent information through audio and other visual features that enhance learning and retention. However, developing video-based learning comes with a variety of costs. But these costs can be significantly cut down through a variety of tools and measures. Hence, there are many cost-effective ways to create interactive e-learning videos that can be utilized in order to create engaging as well as reasonable e-learning videos.