Emotional intelligence, or EQ, is a set of skills for recognizing, understanding, and controlling emotions in yourself and others. In this article, we’ll look at how to develop EI at workplace. Emotional intelligence is an important application in the workplace. While contributing to greater happiness and satisfaction in employees, higher emotional intelligence also contributes to better job performance.
Developing your emotional intelligence can improve emotional stability, the quality of being honest, cognitive ability and many other experiences at work. As you get better at understanding and managing emotional responses, you can learn to use all of your emotions even the negative ones to incite your productivity.
Improving Emotional Intelligence
Developing EI at workplace is essential for your professional success. Below are some ways to increase your EQ:
- Utilize an Assertive Style of Communicating – Assertive communication contributes greatly toward earning respect. Emotionally intelligent people know how to communicate their views and needs in a direct way while still respecting others.
- Respond Instead of Reacting to Conflict – During conflict, feelings of anger and emotional outbursts are common. A person with high EI knows how to stay calm during stressful situations. They don’t make rash decisions that can lead to even bigger problems. They understand that in times of conflict their goal is a settlement and they act and speak accordingly.
- Utilize Active Listening Skills – In conversations, emotionally intelligent people think before they speak. They make sure they understand what is being said before replying. They also pay attention to gestures. This avoids misunderstandings, allows the listener to shows respect and respond properly to the person they are interacting with.
- Be Motivated – Emotionally intelligent people are self-motivated and their approach motivates others. They set goals and are strong in the face of challenges.
- Practice Ways to Maintain a Positive Attitude – A negative attitude infects others easily. Emotionally intelligent people have an awareness of the moods of those around them and shield their attitude accordingly. They know what they need to do in order to have a good day and an optimistic outlook.
- Practice Self- Awareness – Emotionally intelligent people are self-aware and perceptive. They also gather others’ emotions and body language and use that information to improve their communication skills.
- Take Criticism Well – An important part of developing emotional intelligence at workplace is to be able to take criticism. People with high EQ understand know where the criticism is coming from, how it is affecting their performance and how they can constructively settle any issues without feeling offended.
- Empathize With Others – Emotionally intelligent people know how to empathize. They understand that empathy is a characteristic that shows emotional strength, not weakness. Empathy helps them to relate to others and open the door for mutual respect and understanding between people with dissimilar opinions and situations.
- Utilizing Leadership Skills – People with high EQ have admirable leadership skills. They have high standards for themselves and set an example for others to follow. They take action and have great decision making and problem-solving skills. This leads to a higher and more productive level of performance in life and at work.
- Be Approachable and Sociable – Emotionally intelligent people seem approachable. They smile and give a positive presence. They use appropriate social skills based on their relationship with the person around. They know how to communicate clearly since they have great interpersonal skills.
When you’re planning to develop emotional intelligence in the workplace, choose just one element of EQ and identify some actions you could take straight away to improve your skills in that area. As your skills increase, the excitement of results will want you to learn more. Your emotional intelligence will only develop with each new step you take.