A disaster or a hazard is something which puts an organization’s credibility & reputation at risk, it can be a natural calamity or a disruption in the operations of an organization due to human mistakes like an equipment failure. Disaster Recovery (DR) plan is required to safeguard your business from significant negative events i.e. equipment failures to cyber attacks to natural disasters. It helps you to keep your business up and running without any interference at the time of disasters. Businesses require high availability and very less or no tolerance for failures or downtimes.
The prime focus of DR is for a business to continue operating as close to normal as possible. A disaster recovery process includes planning and testing, it can also involve a separate physical site for restoring applications. With the arrival of cloud technology, it becomes easier for organizations to plan for a disaster recovery solution as with cloud service providers like Alibaba, AWS, Azure etc., enterprises need not have a physical data recovery site, adopting to cloud service can help them to implement DR easily.
Advantages of having a DR plan
- Maintain business continuity
- Increase availability & Decreases downtime
- Increase productivity
- Helps in maintaining your brand image and reputation
- Business continuity helps companies from losing business to the competition
DR Plan for Alibaba
Alibaba data centres are located across the world and offers a set of data recovery services which helps in faster recovery of your IT infrastructure and data.
- Don’t equate backup solution with data recovery: Data recovery is not backup so don’t forget to take backup at regular intervals.
- Prioritize costs: You need to give a thought between amount of money spend by you on backups and restorations and the amount of money you will loss during downtime.
- Determine your RTO: RTO is Recovery Time Objective and it denotes the maximum time an application can be down.
- Determine your RPO: RPO is Recovery Point Objective and it denotes the allowable data loss — how much data can a company afford to lose?
- Backup Strategy is important: Use Alibaba Cloud OSS (Object storage service) to regularly backup your data and prevent it from loss during any damage. Alibaba Cloud OSS provides a reliable, cost effective and secure option for data backup. The first 5 GB of storage can be used completely free of cost.
- Test and implement your DR Plan: Testing and retesting of every plan is needed so as to fill in the loop holes and ensuring rare or very less failure in any case. Also, you can connect to third party vendors for implementing DR plan after it is being designed.
Advantages of using Alibaba Cloud for Data Recovery Plan:
- Offers Enhanced security and compliance
- Accessible from any location
- Quick retrieval of files and data resulting in high performance
This article highlights the steps need to be taken into consideration while planning to opt for a DR plan. Alibaba allows you to control the maximum building blocks required to build an appropriate DR solution. You will only need to pay for what you use. Alibaba’s highly flexible, secure and cost effective cloud makes it easy for companies to move on to cloud without giving it a second thought.