DiSC is a popular concept in psychology that as initially formulated by William Marston in the year 1928. Marston performed a great deal of experiments on human subjects in an effort to measure the connection between emotion and behavior and thatS when we wrote the DISC THEORY.
Since then, The DISC theory that serves as the backbone of a host of solutions created by Inscape Publishing. DiSC actually measures behaviours which is nothing but an expression of personality
DiSC behavioural styles
DiSC stands for the following:
D = Dominant (Active, Task-Oriented)
i = Influential (Active, People-Oriented)
S = Steady (Passive, People-Oriented)
C = Conscientious (Passive, Task-Oriented)
Characteristics of the D – DiSC Personality Type:
- The D Style tends to be direct and decisive, sometimes described as dominant.
- They demonstrate high self-confidence and have a better appetite for risk.
- They like to be involved in problem solving, and are therefore looked up decisions and direction in a team situation.
- They are self propelled.
- They think about big picture goals and are driven by results.
- They are bottom-line organizers that can lead an entire group in one direction.
- They are deadline driven. The D likes to challenge the status quo.
Characteristics of the i – DiSC Personality Type:
- The i style likes to be the the center of attention.
- They are enthusiastic, optimistic, talkative, persuasive, impulsive and emotional.
- They will trust others naturally, truly enjoys being around others, and functions best in a socially motivating environment.
- They are good at providing encouragement and motivation to others.
- They will go out of their way to keep things light, avoid and negotiate conflict and keep the peace.
Characteristics of the S – DiSC Personality Type:
- The S style characterises steadiness, stability, and predictability.
- They are even-tempered, friendly, sympathetic with others, and are usually very generous.
- The S listens well and that also makes them reliant and dependable.
- They build consensus and will try hard to reconcile conflicts whenever they find themselves in one. They are compliant towards authority and a loyal team player.
Characteristics of the C – DiSC Personality Type:
- The C Style has a priority for accuracy, precision and are conscientious.
- They tend to be analytically and systematically and make thorough decisions.
- The C style brings perspective to groups and provide the reality check that a group may often need.
- They make realistic estimates and will voice the problems over already existing system.
- The C are even tempered but tend to come across as critical.
- They take great pride in doing their work accurately and are excellent people to analyze, research, or test information.