Diversity is any dimension that can be used to differentiate people from one another. Essentially, it’s about empowering people by accepting and recognizing what makes them different. Inclusion is an effort in which different individuals having different backgrounds are culturally and socially acknowledged and equally treated. The process of inclusion connects every person and makes people feel valued.
Every person in an organization carries with them a different set of perspective and experience. We can unleash the power of diversity only when we recognise these differences and learn to respect each of them.
As the makeup of the workforce is changing diversity and inclusion will continue to be part of boardroom discussions all over the world. The biggest challenge HR and Talent Acquisition is facing nowadays is the rapid change in the workforce. It has been seen that diverse workforce drives economic growth and development.
Research shows that employees who feel they have a say in the organization are nearly five times more likely to feel empowered and are motivated to perform their best. Employees in inclusive environment feel motivated to share their different perspectives without any thought to be judged. Diversity and inclusion play an important role in any organization.
Let’s discuss some of the ways, diversity can impact any organization.
- A diverse set of workforce drives growth and development
- The key benefit of diversity is to attract hard working and dedicated employees
- Recruiting from a wider set of work pool can attract qualified workforce
- Inclusive environment can reduce employee turnover and increase employee engagement
- Diverse group brings in new and innovative perspective
- Diversity and inclusion help Nation to be competitive in the economic market
- It will be a key in creating a competitive economy
- Ethnically diverse companies yield 35% more revenue
- Boardroom diversity is also needed to leverage company’s full potential
- Diverse and inclusive employees rank their employers as high performing
- Diverse team can reach to wider customer groups
- Workplace with higher diversity and inclusion leads to better and quick decision making
Diversity and inclusion initiatives should not be static one’s. There should be an ongoing process to cater changing needs which should also include periodic review of diversity and inclusion initiatives. It should not become a program which is on papers.
However, organizations are going beyond embedding D&I only into their HR function. They are going beyond one department and function. Ultimately, sustainable strategies help organizations to make real progress in terms of diversity and inclusion.
It is very important to educate your leaders who’s on the front line and regularly interact with the employees. Organizations should celebrate employees’ differences and respect everyone’s backgrounds and traditions. Leaders should think about the culture they want to create and the process to create while keeping the needs of the employees in mind.
In a nutshell diversity and inclusion is all about acknowledging and appreciating different perspectives of an individual in terms of culture, ideas, gender, language, region to create diverse workforce environment within and outside the organization.