Workplace diversity and inclusion refers to understanding, accepting and appreciating differences between people and offering them supportive environment which in turn increases their participation.
Workplace diversity reflects the idea that your workplace should cover greater society. The concept of diversity and inclusion especially in workplace has become very important these days. When people talk about diversity, they often think about race, caste or gender. However, it is a much broader and inclusive concept.
Workplace diversity has become a top priority for recruitment departments. A recent survey by Society for Human Resource Management found that 57% of the recruiters mentioned that their recruitment strategies are designed to attract and hire diverse candidates.
Nowadays achieving greater diversity in the workplace is not just a compliance related goal, organizations are understanding the importance of diversity and inclusion. This rise has been due to collaborative structure of modern organizations. It has been witnessed that companies that can effectively recruit and manage diverse workforce have a direct competitive advantage in the industry.
Recruiters have a separate target to increase workplace diversity. Research shows that having multicultural networks within the organization increases productivity and leads to business growth.
Diversity and Inclusion training is important for recruiters to bring some real change within the organization. Diversity and inclusion training are perfect for recruiters who want to-
- Create organizations brand in the market
- Drive an inclusive and innovative organization culture
- Attract and retain human talent for long term
- Eliminate bias from the recruitment process
- Would like to increase job advertising effectiveness
- Promote diversity of thought within the organization
Diversity and Inclusion training is very important for all the employees specially the recruiters who are involved in bringing the talent pool within the organization. The training should be able to cover the below mentioned elements-
- Effective recruitment procedure and preparation to reach the widest talent market
- Recent findings and research on bias and how to handle them
- Exercise on shortlisting candidates fairly and responding to unfair biases
- The skills and competencies a recruiter should have to practice inclusive recruitment interviews
- Writing an effective job description with proper Job Specifications that should include equal employment opportunity statements
- Types of unconscious bias and their impact on the recruitment process
- How to handle their own bias during the interview and the negative impact of bias in decision making
- Importance of networking and connecting with organizations and meetup groups to tap the hidden talent
Strengthening organization’s diversity workforce can be done properly when hiring managers understand the common bias and how to handle them effectively. These biases can result in non-diverse hiring choices and poor decision making.
Inclusive recruitment is a core-skills for hiring managers and their ability to hire diverse talent pool has a direct impact on the quality of employees they hire. Hiring managers plays major role in building diverse teams who can enhance the productivity and creativity at workplace. Training hiring managers is an important aspect, but you need to create diverse hiring committee at the first go which will open doors for wider variety of people.