Leading a team is never easy. Grouping different types of people with different temperaments can often lead to clashes, miscommunication and can affect the team productivity. However, if handled tactfully, you can make your team accomplish great professional goals. Getting them on the same page is a different thing but making them work in agreement to achieve a common goal is a no small act.
Ways to Increase Productivity
There are always some ways that can be incorporated to take team productivity to a whole new level.
- Giving Team Members Ownership – Giving ownership to the team members means letting them take their own decisions and making them accountable for their work. This induces a sense of responsibility in them and makes them look at their work differently in a way that their decisions can impact the performance of the entire team. Giving ownership, like leading a project or handling the responsibility of a task shows that you trust your team members and their capabilities to handle a specific job. While doing so, you realize that there is nothing more powerful than building someone’s confidence.
- Set Communication Expectations – Communication is one factor that contributes largely in team productivity. A lot of successful businesses depend on effective communication which plays an important role in helping team members to understand their job responsibilities. If there is any communication-gap, it can lead to confusions within a team, which for sure will impact the overall productivity of a team. Whether you need to hire new employees, deliver employee training, or have a place to keep important information, consider creating an online course to keep everyone associated.
- Know Your Team Members Strengths and Weaknesses – A team leader needs to discover the hidden talents of their team members and keep them in mind while distributing tasks to them. Being aware of their skill-set, and helping them make the best use of their knowledge, is the backbone of make your workplace better and productive than before.
- Incorporate Some Team Building Exercises – Team productivity depends largely upon the fellowship between the team members. If they get along well with each other, the workplace automatically becomes a happier place. If the team members are happy from within, the team productivity and efficiency will automatically boost. When people with different temperament work together, there is a possibility that not everyone will like each other. To avoid this, some team building exercises can be incorporated. Apart from adding some fun element, it will also wash away any bitterness or miscommunications between the team members.
- Employ a Project Management Software – An online project management software plays a great role in boosting team productivity. It brings together your projects, team members and clients at one place. Having the right project management can help in effective work management and increased partnership between the team members. With features like discussions and group chat, you can take your workplace productivity to a whole new level.
- Good Work Environment – The work environment and framework are essential contributors in improving team efficiency and productivity. These greatly affect the way employees feel and perform at the workplace. Due to this, many organizations are becoming vigilant while designing their workplace interiors. They are including bright lighting, comfortable furniture and a touch of nature with the help of plants and flowers. Besides the physical setting, there is need to take care of a dominating boss, arrogant employees and office politics too, which can bring down the overall productivity and efficiency in an organization.
- Efficiency – Consider how your business is presently operating, and be open to the possibility of changing the way you work. Remember that it’s equally important to make short-term and long-term lists, as it is to focus on tasks, especially in a small business. Provide each team member with a plan and encourage them to make a list to ensure they complete the jobs on time and stays on task all day, leading to efficient working.
- Delegate – Delegation comes with an element of risk, but increased responsibility is important for improving the spirits and job satisfaction of your staff. Give responsibilities to competent employees who have a proven track record with success in a certain field, and trust that they will perform the tasks well. If employees are given a chance to gain skills and leadership experience, it will benefit the company and provide the employees with a sense of achievement and direction in their own careers.
Empowering your teams to be at their productive best requires a blend of different elements. If you want your staff to work to the best of their ability, try out a few of the above tips to increase team productivity.