Few would argue with the notion that building effective business relations is critical in professional services. While marketing efforts put toward pricing and service strategy, or formulation of a company’s competitive position, their real profit lies in the strength of their relationships. Like any personal relationship, business relations require regular maintenance. A mutual benefit and ongoing communication are important tools to success. In future, having close and trusted contacts will give you an edge, especially when other marketing strategies aren’t working.
Many factors work together to help you build and deepen business relationships for long-term career growth and business success. These factors are the foundation of effective business relations. We have already discussed some of these in the previous article, let us look at some more –
- Reach Out to Important Contacts – It is not possible to have conversations with all your contacts, but you can focus on the valuable ones. List your best clients, partners, and vendors and remain in touch with them. Show your interest in their business and let them know that you are here to help. Make it a routine if you want to keep the relationship alive. A social media strategy can be fast and an efficient way to ensure your are routinely reaching out.
- Ask for Feedback – Instead of assuming your clients and sellers are happy, ask them for feedback. Communication is a basic element of any good relationship. When you ask your contacts how they feel, you encourage a two way conversation that can uncover areas for improvement. Some organizations conduct client satisfaction surveys to gather feedback. But usually it’s best to talk to your clients to make sure they are content.
- Go Live – One of the best ways to grow your network is to get out of your workplace. Sometimes you don’t know what people you need to connect with. If you did, connecting with them would be very easy. Most of the time, it’s the unexpected people who will really add to your network. So build strong relationships with people in all spheres of your life.
- Appreciate Others – Do not hesitate to show your appreciation whenever someone helps you. Everyone wants their work to be appreciated. So, genuinely praise the people around you when they do something good. This will help in building effective business relations.
- Be Positive – Concentrate on being positive. Nobody wants to be around a negative person. Positivity is attractive and communicable, and it will help enhance your relationships with your colleagues.
- Listen Actively – Practice active listening when you talk to your customers and co- workers. People respond to those who actually listen to what they have to say. Focus on listening more and talking less, and very soon you’ll be known as someone who can be trusted.
Good relationships are also necessary if we want to develop our careers. After all, if your employer doesn’t trust you, it’s unlikely that he will consider you when a new position opens up. We all like to work with people we’re on good terms with. Customers, suppliers and stakeholders are all important to our success. So, we need to build effective business relations with all of them. An essential part of business success is having a strong linkage. Though it is much easier to build a network if you’re a part of a world of business, but all you really need to do is to meet new people and step out of your comfort zone.