DISC is a model that was first proposed by William Moulton Marston. He was a psychologist and, in his book, – Emotions of Normal people he has explained about the DISC theory. This describes about the impact of emotions and environment of individual behaviour and also highlights the tendency of behaviour to alter overtime.
Keeping this model as base there are different companies that has developed DISC assessments. Here we are discussing about two such – Thomas DISC and Everything DiSC.
Thomas Profiling questionnaire consists of 24 sets of four items. Each item corresponds to either D, I, S or C style. The respondents have to choose two trait adjectives from a block of four, one that is “most like” and the other “least like”. The report that comes out is a short 4-page report which also generates three different graphs based on those 24 sets.
- Graph I is called as the “Work Mask”. This work mask graph is based on “most like” scores. It shows how respondent perceives themselves.
- Graph II is the “Behavior Under Pressure”. This second graph is based on “least like” scores. It shows motivations and core behaviors adapted when the respondent is under pressure.
- Graph III is the “Self-Image”. This particular graph is calculated by subtracting “least scores” from “most scores”. It represents the most balanced and long-term behavior.
The report can be generated in 26 different languages. However, the report is generated in English and may not be available in all the languages listed in the questionnaire.
The application of this is varied. The results from the report can be used for recruitment purposes, developmental plans and intervention planning, and also to sustain the engagement of the employee.
Everything DiSC Workplace Assessment
Everything DiSC Workplace assessment is based on adaptive testing hence there’s no set order of questions. However, it could range between 70-75 questions most typically. The system tends to increase questions once it identifies inconsistent or neutral answers to get a more concrete result. This way, the adaptive testing makes the Everything DiSC assessments more reliable. The assessment is developed based on a Likert scale where the respondent needs to choose one option from the available options. DiSC report comes with a 20-page descriptive analysis.
- The Everything DiSC report highlights about the individual’s DiSC style. It also discusses about the dot placement the various priorities and also about the linear and solid shading seen in the DiSC circle.
- Apart from that the report highlights the various motivators and stressors which aids in introspecting the self and understanding oneself better.
- The report also talks about how the respondent will react to other styles. Apart from stating some specific strategies to be behaviorally flexible with other styles.
- Last but not the least, the report also points out personalized style index of a combination of different styles ex- D, Di, etc.
Everything DiSC reports can be generated in 30 different languages. It can be used for Communication, Diversity Training, Leadership, Managerial Training, Mentoring, Onboarding, Recruitment and Team Building, Executive Coaching, etc. Mainly the Everything DiSC is used for developmental purpose.