Coaching being a personal and goal driven intervention requires use of various tools to enhance the effectiveness of the journey and create a long-lasting change. Executive coaching tools need thorough preparation. These tools are chosen by experienced professionals in their respective fields of expertise.
The tools need to be tailor-made for each coaching journey since the requirement of each intervention is different. Having said that some common tools can be used for similar interventions.
The other important factor on the selection procedure of these executive coaching tools is the impact of the tools on the client of the coach who is the executive of the business firm. This of course is determined based on some series of assessments that have been designed in a scientific manner.
The various tools that can be used for high-impact coaching interventions are:
- Assessments: Assessments can be conducted in various stages of the executive training program. This completely depends on the required outcome, which in turn is completely dependent on the problem areas of the client that has been recognised . Various psychometric assessments like DISC can be used as part of behavioral coaching. These tools help in enhancing self-awareness of the coachee and provide key insights into probable behavioral strengths and challenges.
- Study materials: The study materials are also prepared on the basis of the first basic assessment that has been conducted in the beginning of the executive coaching program. The study materials may consist of theoretical knowledge as well as some practical and real life case studies. Case studies are helpful because they sight real incidences and the various ways the solution has been attained. This basically refers to the experiences of successful professionals. The experiences aren’t always of great taste, but the bitter taste has always led to fruitful results. Such reading material can encourage new ideas and thoughts in the coachee.
- Audio visual resources: Audio visual resources in coaching add a new dimension to learning. This has been observed in many cases that visually imparted knowledge is better retained in the mind than the normally addressed ones. Inspiring videos that address that specific needs of the coachee are a great source of motivation and change.
- Seminars or webinars: This is also the discretion of the coach and his idea of giving his best to his job. Attending suggested webinars and seminars can broaden the horizon of the coachee. Such tools also keep the coachee engaged between the coaching sessiona and enhance the learning.
- Worksheets: Coaching is a reflective exercise where the coachee arrives at action plan for various goals as outlined by him/her. Worksheets that ask thought provoking questions and provide a structure for reflection in those areas are an effective way to nudge the coachee to arrive at an action-plan. Worksheets should be created with a great deal of reflection to address the specific needs of the coache.
Coaching interventions do not require the coach to be a subject-matter expert. The coach is the master of the structure. This is the reason various tools are used by coaches to enhance the learning of the coachee and ensure that learning is relevant and engaging. Such learning tools help in making the structure of coaching highly effective for the coachee.