The perception of an individual while taking interpersonal risks in a context such as a workplace it is termed as psychologically safe workplace. The risk taken would feel like a harm to one’s credibility and if an individual doesn’t feel like they can’t be vulnerable.
The risk taken should make them feel regrettable and embarrassed. The employee shouldn’t feel like they will be embarrassed or punished for admitting to a mistake, asking for a question or a for sharing new idea. A psychologically safe workplace is as important to an organization as employee experience and company culture.
There are said to be seven ways in which a psychologically safe workplace can be developed and created. We can also infer form these seven ways that they aren’t difficult to inculcate into the workplace. However, it might require time and it requires the cooperation of employees and management to ensure such a safe space.
These five ways can be elaborated as:
- Break the “golden rule”
- The golden rule is often that is socially known by us and that is treat others like you would want them to treat you. When it comes to developing a psychologically safe workplace, the opposite hold true that treat others as they would like to be treated. The employees should be asked about their preferred style of communication, the frequency of check-ins, type of feedback etc. These types of inquiries can be made through direct report.
- Welcome curiosity
- Companies should generate a more curiosity culture to ensure that it facilitates more creative environment, allows the employees to be present for the journey, ensures better communication alignment with each other. The employees are more engaged and more agile and adaptive to what’s happening when there is an unforeseen obstacle. Despite the risk of uncertainty, vulnerability and discord there of valuable outcomes of promoting such a culture of leaning and inquiry.
- Promote healthy conflict
- Although conflicts are one of the riskiest interpersonal endeavours, it follows that organizations should promote such conditions for healthiest forms of conflict. Such healthy conflicts can be brought about in an office environment by ensuring the employees feel respected. The employees should be allowed to debate heir ideas rather than judging them because of their ideas. This will further ensure that they share even the whacky ideas hat may be invaluable.
- Give employees a voice
- The employees shouldn’t be placed under strict restrictions as it is detrimental to creating a psychologically safe workplace. This is particularly for rules and infrastructure that limits communication. Liberal pathways for leadership, channels for feedback should be created along with encouraging conversations to overcome this hinderance.
- Upward communication makes may be a significant force in in helping contemporary organizations learn and succeed. Upward communication concentrates on ensuring employees can communicate those in authoritative positions so that they can help status quo, identify problems or opportunities for improvement offer ideas to improve the organizations well-being.
- Earn and extent trust
- Research claims that psychological safety creates an environment that promotes interpersonal trust and mutual respect in which employees are comfortable being themselves. It is more so interesting that trust is recognized as a requirement for a perfectly functioning team. Trust is not only to be recognised an important, but it also needs to be built upon.
These five ways needs elaborates that psychologically safe workplace is providing a space for the employees to be themselves. Further, it is important to ensure that that a positive workplace culture is followed by a psychologically safe workplace. This requires focused effort as they are important aspects of an organization.