Execution can be defined as the decisions and activities you begin in order to turn the implemented strategy into business success. It is the successful application of a strategic plan or it is getting your strategy done. To achieve “execution excellence” is to realize the best possible results a strategy and its implementation will happen. Execution done properly is a disciplined process, a logical set of linked activities by an organization to make a strategy function. Without a careful, planned proposal to execution, strategic goals cannot be achieved.
The strategy to execution connects unique leadership styles to real-world demands, generating powerful conversations that provide a clear path for action. This enables the professionals to not just formulate a strategic plan with excellence but also execute them all the more with ease. Thus in this article we are going to discuss about the strategy to execution.
Steps To Execute A Strategy
Many people think that the most difficult thing about ‘Strategy’ is the planning. ‘Knowing what to do’. but the simple reality is that ‘knowing what to do’ is easy, but to execute a strategy is hard. This is what differentiates good strategy people apart from the crowd. Navigating from strategy development to execution is one of the biggest challenges for today’s leading companies and only few are successful. The following are some of the steps to ensure success of the strategy –
- Planning – The foremost step needed to successfully execute a strategy, is the planning process. Planning is not just about actions, but it is about structure and mechanisms. The planning phase should include the goals to be achieved, the big and small steps that you will be taking to achieve those goals. It is about the framework being used to keep one focused. It also includes the communication plans to be used for the strategy and also a list of the strategy advisors and mentors.
- Communication – The next step after planning is to start the process of engaging the organization. This includes the discussion time on the strategy in meetings between the managers and the subordinates. Regular surveys and questionnaires about the progress of the strategy need to be done.
- Setting goals – The next step is to start creating some definite and positive goals. Goals that will actually move the plan towards accomplishment. Creating goals will help in the execution of the plan. It will also help in searching areas that might have been overlooked.
- Monitoring and Reporting – This is ensuring that everyone in the organization is regularly updating their progress. Updates should include a significant measure of progress against the goal as well as a short commentary to give a well informed picture of the development.
- Performance management – This is a critical part of the strategy to execute. At this stage things start to become a little more progressive and a vast majority of strategy execution approaches start clearing up. Performance management should be impartial, clear, familiar and well understood.
- Rewarding – If the previous steps have gone right, and did a good job of linking goals – performance management – strategy, then this last step should be easy enough. It should not be forgotten that the reward does not have to have to be only monetary. It could to travel benefits, sending people to conferences, extending them added leadership opportunities, anything that is being done on a merit basis.
Strategy To Execution Is A Process, Not an Event
Strategy to execute is not the result of a single employee decision or action, but the result of a series of equivalent, enterprise-wide decisions and actions occurring over time. It is far reaching and must bring the people in the organization along for the ride. Execution may start at the top of the organization, but must fall down to be successful.
Conventional approaches to execution typically involve one-way information flows from senior leaders to lower levels in the organization: town hall meetings, blogs, PowerPoint presentations, or off-site events. However, these events fail to drive the necessary organizational arrangement, mindset and aptitude needed to achieve effective execution and business results.
Without significant organization involvement, a strategy that sounded good originally begins to shrink and move in different directions. Even the most hopeful business strategies can be unsuccessful. A well – formulated strategy to execute, can put can organization on the competitive map, but only a continuous and uninterrupted strategy execution can assure long –term success.
Importance of culture in strategy to execute
Evolving a strategic plan is vital to an organization’s success. An organization must be able to skillfully execute that strategy to achieve its performance improvement goals. The organization’s culture is often the most important determiner in a fruitful execution.
At the core, implementing strategy depends on two main elements:
- Building and maintaining an organizational culture that facilitates and accelerates change.
- Encouraging a sense of personal accountability for strategy execution ownership at every agency level – from administrative assistant to senior leadership.
In other words, creating an organizational culture that builds the flexibility and understands and accepts the responsibilities for change is important. Each and every person in an organization contributes to its success. Everyone should feel personally obliged. Effective association between teams, a promise to an employee’s personal action plan, an open dialogue with senior management leads to an environment in which employees at all levels feel that their opinions counts. The candidates developed measurable goals and plans to communicate clearly and created feedback mechanisms to senior leadership. The atmosphere they built led to improved strategy execution and higher performance.
Formulating strategic plans and executing them are two different things. Many a times, organizations have a very effective plan in place but fails at executing the plan and achieving the intended results. While strategic planning itself is complex and difficult, it is also very challenging to execute the strategic plan due to various factors such as the organizational culture competitive conditions, organizational function or structure, uncertain market trends, etc.
To excel in execution, it is essential to understand the drivers of Vision and personal approach to crafting a vision in the light of best practices. Then to understand the drivers of Alignment and arriving at understanding the drivers of Execution and personal approach to each driver in the light of global best practices.
The strategy to execution encourages reflection and discussion about the team and the organization. It helps leaders take action with personalized tips and strategies that give clear direction and are easy to apply. The strategy to execution program connects unique leadership styles to real-world demands, generating powerful conversations that provide a clear path for action. This enables the professionals to not just formulate a strategic plan with excellence but also execute them all the more with ease.
Strengthscape’s Execution of Strategy program is a specially designed program that can aid companies and execution officers face the challenges in execution of strategic planning. The tools and processes of the program help in formulating effective strategic plans which can be converted into effective execution. Strengthscape is a coaching and leadership development organization providing services like mentoring, leadership training & development services. It has clients which include several of the renowned companies across industry sectors, where they work with some of their senior-most executives.
We are based in Bangalore and have worked with clients across India and overseas. Our panel of professional coaches includes over 25 coaches who have been credentialed by the International Coach Federation and come with years of experience as coaches and mentors.
We, at Strengthscape, offer a well-defined , support structure, and validated tools and techniques to ensure reliability, sustainability, and broad-based impact for the development and transformation of leaders into competent coaches. We improve the skills of leaders by helping them increase their self-awareness, perceptions and analyze their strengths and weaknesses and evaluate themselves before helping other team members do the same. Our coaching methodology, DANCE which focus on the above mentioned, was also able to give numerous positive results.