Leadership development programs in organization should be focused at developing certain essential competencies for a leader to be effective. Few such competencies that are essential to be addressed through such leadership development programs are discussed.
List of Leadership Development Programs in Organization
- Action oriented: Action oriented person possess characteristics like enjoying hard work, energetic, acts with minimum planning, takes risk and grabs opportunities. They also tend to be workaholic, doesn’t focus to unchallenging tasks, and neglect personal life. This could cause burn out or boredom in long run. An effective leader needs to be action oriented one who doesn’t procrastinate, have faith in self, able to prioritize and organize tasks and learn to be committed and passionate to the work. These are few things to be addressed.
- Approachability: For a leader to be successful and have an impact on their employees one needs to be approachable. The skills like easy to talk to, being gracious and pleasant, develops good rapport, listens to others, remains compassionate. But also learn to maintain to an optimum level or will be misinterpreted as easy going or having desire to be liked. So, the program should include sessions to work on needs like personalizing, selecting approachability, not shying away and also to maintain appropriate level so to avoid conflict or criticism.
- Business Acumen: A leader who is competent knows the functioning of the business, aware of the policies and possible changes to occur in future, understands the competition level and strategies to survive in the market. It is essential for a leader to be updated about changes or up comings in the market to withstand in the field. So an effective training program should focus on addressing this quality and providing strategies to improve it.
- Command Skills: Leader is someone who is required to relish directing others, take up a right stand and guide others in time of crisis. So it is essential that a leadership development programs in organization should address these needs. It must also focus on making individuals to understand the difficulties of leading, to be impartial and to handle controversies as leading is critical than following.
- Delegation: An effective leader is someone who assigns routine and important tasks to others comfortably, let others take up responsibility, trust his employees and let people function on their own. If there is no proper delegation it leads to piling of work and failing to meet deadlines. Or the leader turns to be too controlling, making it difficult for the employees to work. Thus practicing the art of delegation is essential for an influential leader.
- Ethics & Values: Practice before preaching. Only if the leader adheres to the values and follows the rules, the employees would be motivated to do so. It is also essential that a leader is flexible to adapt the changes to the way of functioning if it is necessary. Being stubborn hinders performance and produces poor results.
- Perseverance: Never giving up is most admired skill of a leader. The ability to be resilient and work through challenges to reach the ultimate goal without being dejected or tired is most important for a leader. This quality in a leader drives the employees also to be focused and achieve the target. So leadership development program should address this need so the potential employees understand its importance.
- Strategic Agility: A leader should be in a position to see the future consequences of a decision clearly. He must be able to see ahead and predict future turns of events and possibilities. This enables to make competent strategies and plans that keep the organization sustained over a period of time. This requires the leader to be strategic, curious, have a broad perspective and to speculate about future events.
- Motivating: It is essential that employees remain focused in their tasks, enjoy the work so they are motivated, committed to their organisation’s goals and values, devoted towards organizational productivity. So, as a leader it is his duty to keep the employees motivated, thus a leadership training program must include strategies to improve and maintain the motivation level of employees in an organization.
- Understanding others: Being a successful leader also requires understanding his team and their mind set. The program should aid leaders to pick up the sense of the group in terms of positions, intentions and needs, and to understand their situations so to motivate them.