One of the biggest challenges that an organization faces on any level is to make everyone realize that they must be diverse to be the best. Diversity also means inclusion, wherein everyone feels that they are valued, respected and have the same opportunities. Diversity makes an organization effective as they work out on everyone’s strengths. It is about empowering people.
Simply following the laws for diversity would not make an organization the best. To get ahead of the competitors, leaders should turn their groups into teams. This would help to create to synergy effect, i.e. every individual contributes more to the team. A team could accomplish wonders rather than an individual working alone. Because they understand and help each other in a way that everyone feels inclusive.
Leaders should help employees realize that they would need to rely on everyone’s ability to be the best, no matter how different they are. Organizations would need diverse set of people as a team as same type of people would go nowhere. Leaders should see diversity as everyone’s uniqueness and using it for team’s benefit.
If an organization is not diverse then it would be left behind. Most problems occur in an organization when employee’s differing vie points are not given due acknowledgment. Leaders must engage in conversations with their team members to bring out the best in them by leveraging their differences. Leaders should effectively train them in developing soft skills. As soft skills are going to develop their interpersonal thereby making them a valuable part of the team.
Organizations must realize this also that people from all the cultures are their potential customers. Gone are the days when organizations focused only on a set of people for their customer base. And in order to attract this diverse set of culture, organizations must become multi-culture themselves. They should just not talk about it; they should implement diversity.
Embracing diversity has various benefits for the organization:
- Increased productivity. With diversity come different set of talented people who work together to achieve the common goal using different set of skills. Employees also get to learn from each other’s skills which creates a sense of inclusion.
- Increased creativity. For a specific set of problem, there would be more diverse ideas to solve it. With diverse set of minds working together, more solutions will arise as they have different thinking style.
- Reflects positively on reputation. Companies having diversity in their workforce have reputation as a good employer. Clients could feel valued and would do business with such organizations.
Here are some ways by which leaders can manage diversity in the workplace:
- Create diversity friendly policies. Through diversity lens review your workplace once. Develop and implement diversity-friendly and inclusive workplace policies.
- Reassess employee benefits. Review the benefits provided to the employees through diversity lens. Check whether the benefits are fair to everyone.
- Provide diversity training. Decide a time and place for discussing diversity training to employees on how to address.
- Build diverse teams. Ensure that your internal team is diverse. Build diversified teams and give them opportunities to work together.
Diversity and inclusion is an important element of any successful and growth-oriented business. Understand how strong diversity and inclusion strategy are important for bottom-line profit. Leaders who deliberately practice diversity & inclusion and actively enhance their ability would see better performance of their diverse teams.