Workplace safety training is as essential as workplace safety itself. It enables the management to guarantee a safe and healthy work environment. It also helps the employees to recognize safety hazards and rectify them. Workplace safety system begins with a well-trained workforce. Employees trained in safety programs make their workplaces safer for all. Hazards exist in all types of industries, hence it is essential for an organization to provide safety training to their workers and to update the safety programs and norms on a regular basis.
Safety training in modern businesses has become quite inescapable due to the following reasons :
- Communications - The huge increase in the number of today’s employees brings a wide variety of languages and customs.
- Computer skills - Computer skills are becoming vital for managing administrative and office tasks.
- Dealing With Customers – The growing competition in today’s worldwide marketplace makes it essential that employees understand and meet the needs of the customers.
- Diversity - Diversity training usually comprises of explaining how people have different perspective and views, and contains techniques to value multiplicity.
- Ethics - Today’s society has increasing assumptions about corporate social control. Also, today’s various workforces bring a wide range of values and significance to the workplace.
- Human Relations - Stress in the workplace can lead to misunderstandings and dispute.
- Safety training – Workplace safety training is adverse when working with heavy equipment, dangerous chemicals, tedious activities, etc., but can also be useful with real advice for shunning attacks, etc.
- Sexual Harassment - Sexual harassment training generally includes explaining the company’s policies about sexual harassment, especially about what are improper behaviors.
Steps to an Effective Workplace Safety Training Program
- Identify Business Needs – Identify the needs of your business, possible hazards, and training objectives. Then, study past incidents and common industry hazards. Figure out which issues need to be solved through training, and which have other solutions like protective equipment or warning signs.
- Employee Involvement – Involve your workforce in developing, implementing, and boosting the training program. The contribution of managers, supervisors, and workers is very important as they know best, where there is danger to safety and health and how to avoid it.
- Applicable to All Roles – Create training programs that can be applied to each role in the business according to regulations. For example, instructions for handling a knife safely are the same for a waiter and fry cook, while fire safety directions might be different for each.
- Include Managers – To meet the safety requirements of their team, managers and supervisors need to be trained too. This will help them to identify issues with employee agreement, with safety regulations.
- Communication Channels Are a Must – Include communication channels for reporting hazard in your training, so workers know who to contact and how to prevent a possible accident.
- Issue Tests – Test your workers with surprise inspections and quizzes. This way you can determine the effectiveness of your workplace safety training, before an accident forces you to know it is not.
- Make it Continuous - Provide an easy and continuous approach to safety training content to let employees refresh their memory when needed. If the employees have the content of the training course readily available to review, they are more likely to stay safe.
Every organization makes an effort to create a safe environment at workplace including all areas of activities related to productivity and services. However, there are several past incidences of workplace hazards and injuries as far as health and safety is concerned. Therefore, there is much emphasis on workplace safety training, considering the perilous nature of tasks and risk prone conditions in the working environment.