What is Competency Mapping?
Competency Mapping is a process to identify key competencies for an organization or a job and incorporating these competencies in various processes of the organization. A competency is defined as a behavior or set of behaviors (i.e. communication, leadership) rather than a skill or ability.
By conceiving the required competencies, defining a competency framework, mapping existing skills and competencies of the employees, identifying gaps and then developing the competencies can provide a systematic and measurable method for developing organizational capability.
According to Boyatzis (1982) “Competency Mapping is a capacity that exists in a person that leads to behaviour that meets the job demands within parameters of organizational environment, and that, in turn brings about desired results.”
The process of competency mapping enables us to articulate what every employee brings to the table and the process greatly contributes towards job-evaluation, recruitment, training and development, performance management, internal mobility and succession planning.
Competency Mapping can help you with:
Why Competency Mapping?
In short, Competency Mapping is a fundamental activity which drives capability development in an organization and helps it to be more strategic than its competitors.
How are we different?
Application of Competency Mapping
About Competency Mapping Certification Program
The Program is one of its kind designed and delivered by industry veterans.
The program is delivered virtually and includes a blended approach, which consists of e-modules and virtual simulation.
This certification will also allow participants to partake in live projects, basis availability of the same.
Competency Mapping Certification – Packages available
Instructor-led virtual classes
24 hours of live virtual Instructor-led sessions conducted every weekend spread over 8 sessions of 3 hours each. This is followed by live project and final assessment.
The Enterprise Version is best suited for organizations that use or proposes to use Competency Frameworks and would like to train their HR and L&D professionals and trainers. Master facilitators from Strengthscape conduct a two-day in-person certification along with 10 hours of virtual training on exclusively for internal teams of organizations.
Competency Mapping Certification Session Plan
Module I: Introduction to the Concept of Competency
Brief introduction, expectation setting and describing the outcomes
Prepare for the days ahead by gathering expectations, assimilating key questions on Competency Mapping
Introduction to Competency
Understand the nature of competency and its role in streamlining HR functions. Learn the types of competencies and behaviours.
Explain the role of competency in HR functions
Identify types of competencies
Personality & Behavior
The position of behaviours in constituting an individual. Iceberg model - What role do Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, Habits, Values, Attitudes, Traits and Motives play in an individual’s personality.
Understand the Iceberg model
Describe the role of various factors in personality
Module II: Understanding Competencies
Structure of Competencies
The role that proficiency plays in competency. How to score competencies. How to develop a core competency framework.
Learn ways to score the competencies
Develop core competency framework
Module III: Conducting a Behavioural Event Interview
Behavioural Event Interview (BEI)
What is a Behavioural Event Interview (BEI)? The role of BEI in identifying competencies. The technique of identifying key behaviours and listing them.
Discover role of BEI in competencies
Recognize how to apply technique of identifying key behaviours
Module IV: Developing a Competency Model
The History of Competency Models. How do Competency Models help organizations?
Outline the history of competency model and its use in organizations
Different kinds of approaches to develop Competency Model, job-based approach and the competency-based approach. The 7-Step Model of development of a Competence Model.
Discover the different approaches to develop Competency Model
Explain the 7-Step Model
Module V: Assessment Centres
The Origins of Assessment Centres in the screening purposes. The use of the AC in the private sector, with the start of ACs in AT&T. The tools used in an AC and the reason behind using these tools.
Discuss the use of Competency Framework in an Assessment Centre.
Compare the tools used in AC
Module VI: Assessment Centre Methods
Methods of Designing Assessment Centre
Understand the multiple methods used to detect capability in an Assessment Centre. How best to combine various assessment methods? Which method to use and when.
Evaluate the different methods of AC and the advantages and disadvantages of the tools
Explain ways to combine different methods effectively
Module VII: Implementation of Assessment Centre
Role of Assessors
How to Train Assessors for objective assessment. Scheduling and allocation of Assessors in Assessment Centres. How to integrate all scores and generate a final report. How to share the report with the candidates. The art of giving feedback in an Assessment Centre.
Understand the role Assessors play
Interpret the reports accurately
Apply the art of giving effective feedback
Module VIII: Individual Development Plan
Individual Development Plan
Integrating the outcome of Assessment Centres into Individual Development Plans, which address the competency gaps identified in the AC.
Understand and implement various strategies for development.
Infer various ways to address gaps – job rotation, learning, etc
Module IX: Organizational Uses of Competencies
HR Functions & Role of Competencies
The role of competency framework in optimizing the HR functions from Talent Acquisition to Performance Management is discussed.
Implement the competency framework to optimize HR functions
Use of Competency Framework
Module also covers the use of competency frameworks in differentiating organizational performance and individual career management.
Distinguish organizational performance and individual career management using Competency Framework
Module X: Case Studies and Assessments
Referring to case studies
Going through case studies that are from Indian organizations, who have implemented and used Competency Frameworks extensively.
Discuss various case studies that successfully used Competency Frameworks
Key learnings & Takeaways
The use of Competency Frameworks in organizations and the key learnings and takeaways from the case studies to be used.
Apply the key learnings from case studies
To conclude with an Assessment, which will be based on the learning objectives.
Evaluate the self-understanding of the Competency Mapping
Competency Mapping Course Details
- A blend of virtual sessions and eLearning modules methodologies. The course is enriched with audio, visuals, assessments, case studies as well as follow-up sessions for clarifications.
- Access to Strengthscape’s Learning Management System (LMS) which has a range of learning materials starting with the course manual, videos, eLearning content, podcasts, case studies and a whole lot of assessments which promotes self-paced learning and help participants become confident of what is being taught.
- The course manual is divided into 10 modules. Each module has chapters and units.
- Online Competency Mapping Certification: 24 hours of live virtual Instructor-led sessions conducted every weekend spread over 8 sessions of 3 hours each. This is followed by live project and final assessment.
- Enterprise Version: The Enterprise Version is best suited for organizations that use or proposes to use Competency Frameworks and would like to train their HR and L&D professionals and trainers. Master facilitators from Strengthscape conduct a two-day in-person certification along with 10 hours of virtual training on exclusively for internal teams of organizations.
- Participants are expected to go through LMS and read the manual, watch videos and listen to podcasts as well as read any additional reading material that are provided.
Who should get certified
- Human Resource professionals
- Learning & Organization Development Experts
- Individuals involved in performance management
- Professionals who have taken on training role within their department
- Professionals who are involved in hiring process
- Access to Learning Management System (LMS) with Course Manual
- 1-year complimentary access to the Digital Library
- Assignments and worksheets on the LMS