Diplomacy & Tact – Assert. Don’t Offend
Have you ever been in situations where you have to give a critical feedback or painful information? All of us have to go through such situations in the workplace. But won’t we feel much better if we are able to deliver those details without upsetting or hurting the other person? Being tactful and diplomatic helps in being assertive and honest without upsetting others.
Learning to be sensitive to feelings of others is essential in a team setting. Many of us try to take the path of avoidance to keep relationships intact, but this is not a workable solution since the impact on work can be a significant one.
Diplomacy and tact ensure that goals are achieved without negatively impacting the relationship.
- Do you find it difficult to understand other people?
- Do you like to differentiate and know other’s opinion, beliefs and feeling?
- Is there a difficulty in timing your messages correctly?
- Do you avoid critical conversations to stop bad feelings or awkwardness?
- Do you want to be sensitive and empathetic?
- Do you wish to be assertive and tactfully say no?
- Would you like to be emotionally intelligent?
- Do you want to learn how to express your opinions without negatively impacting the relationship?
If your answer to these questions is “yes”, then Diplomacy & Tact – Assert. Don’t Offend. is just for you
The program focuses on helping individuals to be more empathetic and sensitive to people and their feelings, delivering information or comments in a more structured and tactful manner. These skills would enable individuals to develop relations that last difficult conversations or encounter.
Diplomacy & Tact – Assert. Don’t Offend. is based on experiential learning using online pre-work, engaging facilitation, and online follow-up to create a personalized learning experience. It involves creating a customized plan for understanding diplomacy and tact, required skillset and ways to practice it.
- Gaining a perspective on how to understand the feelings of others
- Knowing about the stages of developing tact
- Being able to get idea about tact-diplomacy model
- Understanding the importance of timely delivery
|Session Name||Brief Overview|
|Introductions||Participants are introduced to the entire structure of the course and their commitment reaffirmed.|
|Tact- diplomacy model||Knowing about the basics of tact and diplomacy. The benefits of it and how it helps individual to perform better in a team.|
|Prerequisites for tact and diplomacy||The skills that are required to be tactful and diplomatic are discussed.|
|Stages of developing tact||There are five basic stages of tact development which are focused in this session. They are: understanding environment, time, selecting words consciously, body language and emotional balance.|
|Timing the message||Understanding the importance timing in delivering information.|
|Delivering bad news||Giving away bad news tactfully is an art. It avoids disputes or awkwardness.|
|Assertiveness||Learning to say “no” without being arrogant through few activities.|
|Communicating to negotiate and influence||Communication exercise are given to understand art of being diplomatic.|
|Strengthening work bond||Ways to create cohesive team bonds are focused so the work happens smoothly.|
|Case studies/ evaluation||Testing and evaluating the understanding through case study discussion or other ways of evaluation.|