Diversity and Inclusion is a buzzword for today and many professionals are searching for appropriate training programs to help them lead Diversity and Inclusion initiatives in their respective organization. Some professionals take up this training as a passion to contribute to existing initiatives while others take up to create structures and strategies for Diversity and Inclusion initiatives to take shape in.
Therefore, the two levels at which this training is required is at the employee level for awareness and implementation and at the leadership level for strategizing and planning for an inclusive culture.
Let’s first list down the learning objectives for Diversity and Inclusion training at the employee level. If you are an employee and looking for a training on diversity and inclusion, look for the following objectives.
- Explore and relate with the diversity that exists and the contributions made by the members of the diverse groups in India and across the world
- Identify the issues related to prevalent socioeconomic inequities and critically examine the personal beliefs, attitudes, biases and perceptions that lead to those inequities
- Analyze the life of the members of the diverse groups focusing on their needs and challenges
- List and acknowledge the various institutions that help in the redressal of these socioeconomic inequities
- Describe the various strategies that organizations can take up for making an inclusive culture
- Compare and contrast the learnt strategies with what is existing in the organization to either initiate change or contribute to implement that change
At the employee level, diversity and inclusion is primarily focused on the knowledge and understand level and in some cases, at the apply level. On the contrary, at the leadership level, it is more about applying the knowledge, analyze and evaluate the ideas and existing environment and create the next diversity and inclusion goal.
The need is to strategize to create an inclusive culture, lay down the principles and rituals to establish that culture and conduct quarterly and half-yearly reviews to measure progress. Therefore, in addition to the above objectives, the learning objectives for Diversity and Inclusion training at the leadership level needs to be as follows.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of various dimensions and concepts within Diversity and Inclusion
- Build applicative knowledge of various cognitive and behavioral models that helps to understand and create diversity and inclusion
- Examine structures of power and institutions that can hinder D&I initiatives within the organization
- Apply measurement techniques to assess the current and ideal state of an inclusive culture within the organization
- Create a vision and charter for D&I in the organization and plan it subsequent implementation
- Build a communication strategy to align all stakeholders to the vision and charter for D&I
- Explore strategies to build a network of D&I champions and allies within the organization and train them further to increase the chances of success
Training focused on these learning outcomes will help to build a strong network of diversity and inclusion professionals who can create successful D&I goals, lead the journey and make course corrections as and when necessary in order to meet the goal.