A comprehensive structure that explains various competencies with its specific set of behavioural indicator and criteria of measurement is the description of competency framework. These distinctive set of competency framework is often individualised for each organisation which is parallel to the objectives and the long- and short-term organizational goals.
Some of the competency framework benefits to the organization are outlined as followed:
- A generic understanding of significant success factors and desired behaviours within the organization.
- Amalgamation of the processes of the organization to competencies aids in the interpretation of the long-term goals in day to day work.
- Cost intensive processes like selection hiring and promotions are monitored through better management and effective decisions.
- Standardisation of assessment, feedback and communication concerning performance facilitates a common culture.
Usually, competencies have indicators of behaviour as their building blocks, i.e., related behaviours are grouped together under a competency and similar themed competencies are further grouped to form clusters.
The other competency framework benefits are:
Linking Personal and Organisational Goals
- By having an explicit outline of expectations within a business, it becomes easier to connect the individual’s goals with the direction of the organization. From the perspective of performance and learning, this insight has proven significant to creating an environment where all the employees are working in conjunction.
- The result is that the component that are related to assessment, feedback and communication become standardized across a business which enables the senior management to create a common culture and appropriate level of performance.
Better Recruitment and Retention Standards
- At the end of the day, business leaders want to hire and retain employees who have the same core beliefs, work ethics and goals as the organisation’s brand.
- Competency framework benefits an organization by executing this. With better management and useful information for costly decisions around selection, hiring and promotions – there is no doubt that improvements can be made.
- The recruitment and development process can be made easier by ensuring that areas such as the pay grades, job titles and levels are more transparent.
Smooth Succession Planning
- There are vital concerns around workforce and succession planning for many modern businesses. With the baby-boomer generation beginning to retire, it is vital that leaders have Generation Y and Millennial individuals in line to take over the reins.
- Through a competency framework, enterprises can identify the various values, traits and requirements that future leaders will need to have to move up within an organisation.
- However, this search may be empty further highlighting the previous point around more targeted recruitment and retention.
Opening Communication Channels
- Traditional professional limits exist across any organization. While two people may undertake distinct experts, however, they may share skills.
- They can operate more effectively and efficiently through this channel–breaking down existing borders and stopping important data from flowing around the company.
- Communication is a main component of a skills structure. Only if everyone works towards the same objectives and results can a company move forward together.
Tracking Learning and Development Impact on Performance
- It’s all nice and good to provide your staff with training and growth possibilities, but how do you know that it has accomplished something beneficial for the entire business? Again, this is where competency framework benefits an organization.
- It generates the chance for a clear contrast between before and after by mapping learning operations to the different competencies it promotes.
Measurable improvements are vital to company advancement in order to highlight regions of strength and weakness among the staff community by aligning skills with development operations. Hence, competency frameworks benefit an organization in order to ensure smooth functioning.