Competency Mapping is a process used to identify key competencies for an organization or a job, and then incorporate these competencies into the various internal processes of an organization. A competency is defined as a behavior, or a set of behaviors (i.e. communication, leadership) rather than a skill or ability.
Competency mapping certification conceives the required competencies and defines a competency framework by mapping the existing skills and competencies of the employees. It identifies gaps and then develops the competencies thereby providing an informed, systematic and measurable method for developing organizational capability.
The process of competency mapping allows us to articulate and evaluate what every employee brings to the table. This process greatly contributes toward job evaluation, recruitment, training and development, performance management, internal mobility, and succession planning. It brings a great deal of value to the organization.
Interested? Contact us!
Competency Mapping certification can help you with:
- A competency-based approach
allows an organization to understand its capabilities and the gaps to which it is exposed. A competency-based approach allows it to fine-tune all HR related downstream activities
becomes more focused and the specific competencies required become clear.
- Talent Management
is easier with the skills being defined and the behaviors on which the employees are to be assessed are also clearly defined.
facilitates Learning and Development and Organizational Development.
- A competency framework
makes it easier for organizations to plan, strategize and implement to optimize overall organizational capabilities.
In short, Competency Mapping is a fundamental activity that drives capability development in an organization and helps it to be more strategic than its competitors.
Strengthscape has an experienced team consisting of organizational developmental analysts, instructional designers, and eLearning developers who provide practical insights into the process.
Blended Delivery approach
Strengthscape conducts both online training, eLearning modules, and live case studies for convenience and to make the program cost-effective.
Strengthscape takes a spaced learning approach giving enough time to absorb the concepts and practice, leading to better retention and more concrete learning.
Our Own Methodology
Strengthscape provides a tried and tested, comprehensive methodology to map the behavioral competencies of employees. Our internal methodology of competency mapping is called StrengthMapping. The StrengthMapping methodology considers the behavioral competencies of the employee.
Strengthscape provides continuous support through individual handholding for higher learning effectiveness
Identifying the performance gaps
Applying in HR process like recruitment and selection, job evaluation and performance management
Developing balanced performance appraisal system for development results and change management
Designing an assessment centre to evaluate and enhance the performance
Understanding ways to integrate your performance review system with the training plan of the organization
The Program is one of its kind designed and delivered by industry veterans.
The program is delivered virtually and includes a blended approach, which consists of e-modules and virtual simulation.
This certification will also allow participants to partake in live projects, basis the availability of the same.
- The course is enriched with audio, visuals, assessments, case studies as well as follow-up sessions for clarifications.
- Access to Strengthscape’s Learning Management System (LMS) which has a range of learning materials starting with the course manual, videos, eLearning content, podcasts, case studies, and a whole lot of assessments that promote self-paced learning and help participants become confident of what is being taught.
- Online Competency Mapping Certification: 36 hours of live virtual Instructor-led sessions conducted every weekend spread over 12 sessions of 3 hours each. This includes a live project and a final assessment.
- Enterprise Version: The Enterprise Version is best suited for organizations that use or propose to use Competency Frameworks and would like to train their HR and L&D professionals and trainers. Master facilitators from Strengthscape conduct a two-day in-person certification along with 5 hours of virtual training exclusively for internal teams of organizations.
- Participants are expected to go through LMS and read the manual, watch videos and listen to podcasts as well as read any additional reading material that is provided.
- Human Resource professionals
- Learning & Organization Development Experts
- Individuals involved in performance management
- Professionals who have taken on training roles within their department
- Professionals who are involved in the hiring process
- Access to Learning Management System (LMS) with Course Manual
- 1-year complimentary access to the Digital Library
- Assignments and worksheets on the LMS
COMPETENCY MAPPING IN ORGANIZATIONS
Competency mapping identifies an individual’s skills and abilities and strengths and weaknesses. The aim of this process is to enable the individual to better understand himself/herself and to point out where career development efforts need to be directed. For competency mapping in organizations to work successfully, it is very important that each competency is defined properly, making use of the competency definition that makes it very clear what these competencies mean. Also, what behaviors the employee needs to demonstrate (called Behavioral Indicators or BI) would allow the organization to ascertain that the concerned employee possesses these skills in varying degrees (called Proficiency Levels or PI). This standardizes the process and makes it reliable so that anyone looking at the competency framework developed through the competency mapping exercise can interpret it easily. This standardization is extremely important as the process of competency mapping is at the heart of the human resource development of an organization.
The steps involved in competency mapping process are –
- Firstly, conduct a job analysis by asking office – bearers to complete a position information questionnaire (PIQ). PIQ can be provided for them to complete, or one-on-one interviews can be conducted using the PIQ as a guide. The primary goal in this step is to gather from incumbents what they feel are the key behaviors necessary to perform their particular jobs. By analyzing the key skills required to perform a job, a simple job evaluation can be prepared. It can help in allocating existing or new resources to the particular job based on the evaluation process
- Using the results obtained from job analysis – one is ready to develop a competency-based job description. This is developed by carefully analyzing the input from the represented group of office-bearers and converting it to standard competencies
- With a competency – based job description, one can begin mapping the competencies throughout the HR processes. The competencies of the job description then become factors for assessment on the performance evaluation. Using competencies help in performing more objective evaluations based on displayed or not displayed behaviors
- Taking competency mapping to the last step – one can use the results of evaluation to identify in what competencies individuals need additional effort or training. This will help focus training needs on the goals of the position and company and help the employees grow toward the ultimate success of the organization.
With global economy spreading fast and the world becoming a global village, organizations have become increasingly aware of the need for having competent and skillful employees and developing distinguished competencies for every organization. Competency mapping in organizations has been proved to be very useful due to the increase in the effectiveness of training and professional development programs because of their link to success criteria. It has also provided a common understanding of the scope and particular requirements of a specific role. It has provided a common, organization wide standard for career levels that enable employees to move across business boundaries and grow towards new heights of success.
Application And Benefits
The Potential Benefits of Competency Frameworks
A competency framework provides a set of working behaviours, aligned with core values that helps to develop the skills of individuals at all levels and focus on individual contribution, skill and knowledge. The framework facilitates a set of values, standards and beliefs to work towards, setting expectations of performance and allowing for learning and development.
Competency framework fosters a better link between the company’s corporate objectives and personal objectives and allows everyone to work towards shared values. Learning and development is improved since it is directly targeted at the skills gaps in each individual’s competency set which further enhances personal skills and providing better professional opportunities.
The practical use of competencies
An effective competency framework has applications across the whole range of human resource management and development activities. Competency frameworks are now often seen as an essential vehicle for achieving high organizational performance through focusing on each individual’s capability and potential. Further, this framework can also be a key element in any change management process by aligning people to new organizational demands. Employers use competency framework mostly for achieving the following goals:
- Underpinning of employee reviews
- Enhanced employee effectiveness
- Assessing training needs
- Career progression
Strengths of a well-structured competency framework
The main benefits of a competency based structure include the following:
- Employees have a well structured and defined set of job roles and behaviour and are clear about what is expected of them at work
- The appraisal and recruitment systems are more open and clear
- Recruiters are able to assess and identify required behaviour regardless of career background
- Recruitment processes are measurable and standardized across organizational and geographical boundaries
Competencies serve as the indicator for the organization to the individuals of the areas and levels of performance that the organization expects. They provide the individual with an outline of behaviours as well as skills that are of maximum value. Competency frameworks not only provide clarity, direction and support to the organization’s workforce, but are also an important management tool. They can be applied to enhance performance, retain valuable resources and formulate restructuring in an organization that will provide positive outcomes.
The most important benefits are:
- Developing the workforce in a systematic structure while also focusing on the changes in the styles of working
- Mapping the workforce design and succession planning. These include identifying the requirements for a job and aligning the workforce with the growth of the organization
- Retaining employees and delineating their career progression
- Planning out methods of training and development and encouraging employees to take more responsibilities for their own development
- Facilitating a dialogue to bridge the gap between the management and employees, aligning them towards mutual objectives
- Formulating a structured performance management criterion -clarity of expectation, accountability and responsibility
- By measuring competencies properly, it gets easier to pinpoint areas for improvement. It highlights an individual’s strengths and weaknesses so that developmental efforts in those areas can be targeted
- Competency frameworks not only work on an individual level. It can also highlight the issues in the training programs across the organization and provide insight on how to address them
- Apart from the recruitment and selection process, tracking competencies also evaluates performance of the employees for performance appraisal
- A well-structured competency framework also provides a clear picture of the workforce’s ability. Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the employees can also revitalize the internal mobility within the organization
Many organizations develop a competency framework to manage performance and organizational progression effectively. However, many individuals find it difficult to use these frameworks to achieve their, as well as the organization’s goals. This is because most individuals do not see the benefits of the framework and are not trained accordingly.