“ Communication – the human connection – is the key to personal and career success.” Paul. J. Meyer
Today’s workforce has significantly higher expectations of corporate training programs. They expect information that is relevant, up-to-date, engaging, and easy to access. This helps individuals feel empowered with the content, as they can select with which information they want to be engaged.
The official training content definition includes “any and all information presented to learners with the aim of teaching knowledge or skills.” This opens the gallery for content – which means, that training content can take on a variety of forms, including but not limited to, text, static visual and video, audio, and interactive elements.
Our content development service encompasses the design, development, and delivery of learning experiences. It constructs these experiences by using the latest and proven principles of instructional design in a way that ensures the greatest learning. Theories, models, and processes related to Instructional design ensure the course content is effective in imparting knowledge and skills to learners.
Our Instructional Design team works with facilitators, trainers, and organizations across the world to build bespoke solutions by considering the cultural nuances, participant preferences, and the subject being addressed. Instructional material includes PowerPoint presentations, facilitator manuals, games, simulations, and online course material.
Training Content Development: Key To Success
Organizations find it challenging to maintain their employees in the high performance, especially in this ever-changing competitive environment. The traditionally followed approaches don’t hold the same level of impact as it used to in the current scenario. So, trainings are not seen as just one of thing, or a tick in the box. Organizations are looking for a more wholistic approach that combines various building blocks to address and tap on the strengths of everyone.
In order to master the training content development, the focus needs to be on certain aspects. They are discussed as follows:
- Set the learning objectives right: Learning objectives typically mean the base structure for creating the chapters and activities. Learning objectives also guides the content writer throughout the process of content development. So, it is essential to clearly frame the Learning Objectives right at the start. SO, LOs will be the frame for the content team to select and plan the content and training methods. Some steps to keep in mind while writing learning objectives:
- The learning objectives should use simple language and Bloom’s Taxonomy
- Keep in mind the skill gaps the training is going to address
- Mention the specific elements the participant will become efficient post the training
- Highlight which of the objectives are measurable
- Pre-analysis: In order to create a training content that will be most appropriate to the audience, it is good to do a pre-analysis or pre-assessment with these participants. This gives an opportunity to assess the skill gaps, expectations and the purpose of the training. This could be done through assessment, surveys, quick calls, etc. This way there could be some additional information can be provided to the participants.
- Structuring the content based on audience need: Being the content developer, often one can come across a lot of content and related information. But it is essential to decide which is crucial to the target audience and focus only on those. The training content developer should keep in mind that audience shouldn’t feel bombarded and not to overload with information. To do this effectively, the content developer can begin with listing down the topics and brainstorm with the team on the duration/ weightage per topic. This gives a structure to the entire training plan. Any additional topics identified can be provided to the participants as learning materials or references and not covered during the training.
- Review the existing content repository: While starting to work on any new content, it is always good to review the repository. This allows an opportunity to repurpose or reuse the already existing materials. Reviewing the existing materials provides a clarity or direction and also saves some amount of time and rework.
- Discuss with the SME & Schedule proper reviews: Discussing with the SME is essential to check if the understanding of the topic is right and get any additional details. It is also essential to schedule reviews to avoid any miss out, or rework at the last minute.
These are some of the few points to focus on to excel in training content development.
Content Development Using Instructional Design
The design, development, and delivery of any type of content using instructional design is known as content development. It designs the experiences so that learners can either gain new knowledge or improve their existing skills. There are several models and theories about how people learn and the cognitive processes that underpin our learning experiences. These models ensure that instruction is as effective as possible in imparting knowledge or teaching learners’ skills.
Many of the changes in the workplace today are being driven by the ability to access information when needed through browser-based resources. Technology is allowing large amounts of information to become available in a variety of text, audio, and video formats, providing greater flexibility to the learning experience. A number of educational experts have studied the efficacy of content development programs as interest in e-learning has grown.
Many of today’s workplace changes are being driven by the ability to access information when needed via browser-based resources. Large amounts of information are becoming available in a variety of text, audio, and video formats, allowing for greater flexibility in the learning experience. As interest in e-learning has grown, a number of educational experts have investigated the efficacy of content development programs.
- Micro-learning is any learning experience in which the learner consumes the content in a short period of time. Employees can fit training around their jobs by providing learning in bite-sized micro-learning activities. It also enables employees to learn what they require when they require it
- Mobile Learning- In keeping with the trend of meeting learners where they are, mobile learning enables users to access activities from wherever they are. It is yet another example of how instructional design content has been adapted to meet the demands of the modern work calendar
- Impatience and a distracted workforce are major challenges in the field of content development instructional design. Game design is applied to traditionally non-game activities such as learning in this process
- Blended Learning- This learning style is common in both the education and corporate sectors, but the term blended learning is most commonly used in the corporate learning environment
Individual skills and characteristics structure and guide independent learning. The blended approach begins with more in-person training and progresses to more independent training. Good instructional designers understand that the best curriculum incorporates elements of various types to meet the needs of the organization.
Learning through simulation is one trend that is receiving a lot of attention right now. This method of instruction makes use of various concepts and techniques popularized by the gaming industry. These resources virtually enhance the user experience by utilizing high-definition video and audio, as well as branching strategies. The shift from one-size-fits-all to personalized training and learning experiences is perhaps the most far-reaching content development using instructional design trend. Individuals can take responsibility for their role in the process, work efficiently with the tools provided, self-assess, and even choose avenues of opportunities and exploration through personalized learning activities.
Technology is a key feature of personalized learning because it allows for instant access to information. Nonetheless, despite the emphasis on the individual’s ability, instructional design is critical. The designer gives the individuals the initial guidelines as well as the appropriate guiding tools. Web-based learning can be a flexible and cost-effective alternative to traditional learning, but it can also be a waste of time and money if it is not implemented correctly.