Communication skills may not be the instantly arrived skill when one thinks of the top priority skills expected from a new manager. But most of the new managers in the top percentile tend to have mastered this crucial interpersonal skill. How does communication help new managers get an edge? Clear communication skills enable the new managers to probe the right questions, accurate listening ability, manage crucial conversations effectively which lead them to get into the crux.
Many of the workplace conflict, misunderstandings or task mishaps could be a result of miscommunication and that could have been handled effectively with stronger communication skill. Moving up the ladder from an individual contributor to managing team requires regular discussion with the team and being up to date with the happenings within the team. Apart from communicating with the team, a new manager needs to represent the team in front of various forums like their managers, other teams etc. Thus, communication skills for new managers tend to be very crucial.
Being effective in communication creates a better bond within the team thus enhancing the productivity. Great ideas can only be converted into practice when the new manager can communicate their ideas to the team clearly and align them to the same idea.
Essential communication skills for new managers
- Create a Common Culture: While entering a workplace each employee comes with their own bags of context, perspective, experience, culture, values, etc. A new manager needs to create a common vision for their team and align it with the big picture. This involves explaining the rationale behind the goal, setting the rituals for the team, creating paths to reach the goal, etc.
- Repetition: Effective communication imbibes repeating a message over a period of time to ensure the effective completion of a task. Communication isn’t a one-off task. Communicating over multiple points aids in building trust and credibility.
- Check for Understanding: Communication skills for new managers doesn’t end with sending out a message, but ensuring the message is received and understood. So, weaving possibility for questions and conversations while communicating enables the managers to gauge the understanding.
- Effective Listening: New managers working on communication skills also need to have the aspect of listening. In order to improve the communication, one needs to delve deep in understanding what is working and where improvement is required. For that, one need to listen to others, gain their opinion and incorporate the feedback.
- Call to Action: Communication should enable others to move towards action. One should ensure that their communication is aligned with the goal and it drives other to take actions.
Benefits of Effective Management Communication
- Team Morale Improves: Regular individual conversation with team members or creating a culture if reaching out at any time creates a great bond within the team.
- Creating Rituals for Team: When the new manager practices effective communication by displaying practices like active listening, probing etc, the team also tends to practice the same. Thus, the manager sets a ritualistic culture to practice an effective communication that enhances productivity.
- Stating the Purpose Clearly: It is essential to state the purpose clearly as it helps the team to understand what is expected of them and drives the direction. So, a new manager needs to state purpose clearly.
- Higher levels of Productivity: If the actions are purposeful then it leads to greater productivity. Thus, having a structured communication enables a culture of streamlined process and accuracy. This a crucial aspect of communication skill for new managers
- Problem Resolution: With proper communication channel in the team and openness from the manager the team can resolve problems at a faster phase. Thus, it is important to focus on communication skill for new managers