DiSC assessment is a personal assessment tool which is published by Wiley. This is a non-judgemental tool to understand the behavioral differences that people have. It is based on the DISC model. It is a traditional line graph model which measures the participant on four scales i.e. D, I, S, C.
The original format of DiSC Classic was first published in the year 1970. This model helps the participant to identify his/her DiSC classical pattern. This is based on Geier’s original DiSC assessment. The assessment can be online and offline. Results generated through online test are in the form of PDF and for offline, they are on the paper.
There are 28 forced-choice style questions which means that participant has to choose from the given options. The offline version of DiSC Classic usually takes 25-30 minutes to get completed. On the other hand, DiSC Classic Online takes almost 15-20 minutes to get completed. DiSC Classic has high reliability and validity which is based on 38-year-old DiSC graph model.
The DiSC graph model has a proven track and a large following. There are automatic online results for DiSC Classic 2.0 and DiSC Classic 2.0 plus. There is a manual paper scoring for DiSC Classic. When it comes to report, individual reports are available online and offline. DiSC Classic Group Facilitator Report, Group Culture Report, Team View Report are available only in the online format. It also provides general purpose facilitation kits which has PowerPoint presentations and videos which are customizable in nature. They also provide training tools.
DiSC profile helps in understanding the following things:
- It increases the self-knowledge of the individual. It gives the insight about how an individual respond to conflict, what motivates him/her, what causes stress, and how he/she solve problems.
- It helps in developing stronger sales skills by understanding the customer style and then responding accordingly.
- It also helps in managing people effectively because managers will get an understanding of the dispositions and priorities that employees have. This will help in creating an environment where employees work productively and are also satisfied.
- It helps in improving work relationships because people will get to know about each other’s communication needs. Based on that one can modify the communication style and get the work done without creating conflict.
- It also facilitates better teamwork because team members will know about each other’s personality style and they will work in a way where tasks are assigned according to the personality style, so that each team member can do it effectively.
DiSC stands for Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, and Conscientiousness. People with dominant style see the bigger picture, accept challenges, get straight to the point, and can be blunt. People with influence style show enthusiasm, are optimistic, and like to collaborate.
People with steady personality style are calm in nature and do not like to be rushed. They have a calm approach to everything. They place emphasis on dependability and sincerity. People with conscientious personality style enjoy independence and place emphasis on quality and competency.