When a set of people sharing a same set of ideologies, opinions come together, it is termed as a team and any activity undertaken that causes people to come together and creates a harmonious environment of high spirits and motivation is team building. Team building can be in the form of outbound. By engaging in activities like these, employees are expected to increase their motivation level. Teams do not just begin to outperform the others; companies need to invest proportionally into them.
Here are a few reasons why team building is necessary-
- Serves a platform for networking – Socializing and making friends at work are the best ways to encourage workplace productivity. It not only improves the overall morale of the organization, but also helps in ensuring their day-to-day tasks are completed. Fun get-togethers, team lunches are still a great way for work buddies to bond.
- Encourages teamwork and boosts team performance – The more the team is engaged in activities, the more comfortable they are working with each other. On days where a complex project has been assigned to a team, team disputes due to lack of understanding of each’s working style is the last thing that the team would want to get involved in.
- Celebrates team spirit, fun and motivation – Engaging your team in a playful manner would help rise the team spirits and would motivate them to win more each time. They challenge each other to be the best version of themselves.
- Fosters innovation and creativity – Teams that work closely with each other, can think out of the box. The reason being as the people in the team are all well versed with each other’s thinking and people think differently when they are amongst a set of familiar people. Workplace collaboration is the key to continuing business.
However always getting involved in a team building activity may –
- Develop conflicts – Often there are cases where the team does not mingle too much, thereby resulting in clashes of opinion and conflicts. This reduces the productivity levels throughout.
- Unproductive Team Members – There are a lot of times when the freeload team members begin to do social loafing. This creates undue pressure on the team who is working and getting things out of the door.
- Individual contribution not looked at – In a team setting, since all the members are working together to achieve a goal, the result is given away to the entire team instead of recognizing individual contribution. This can dismay in the minds of the performers.
- Involves Cost – The entire process of planning and executing a team building activity involves resources, money and time investment. If there is a deficit in any of it, the purpose gets defeated.
However, a well strategized team building activity can do wonders for a team. It will pull up the morale and motivation level of a team so high that a minor bottleneck will not affect its cohesion. It is of utmost importance to know that while individual performance must not be ignored however it is team efforts that helps a company to win laurels.