Team building training programs are the most common type of trainings. Cohesive teams contribute positively to the growth of the organization whereas having a dysfunctional team can actually cost money to the organization.
Team building programs are designed to enable teams to work more effectively with each other. Here are some of the reasons why organizations undertake team building programs:
- When a new team is formed, team building activities are recommended to break the ice and speed the forming of the team
- When an existing team displays dysfunctional behaviors that negatively impact performance, like lack of trust and unhealthy conflict
- When a high-performing team wants to get to the next level and is expected to function in a challenging environment
- When a common skill is needed to be developed in the entire team to improve the team performance
Here are type of team building activities that are most popular:
Outdoor Team Building Activities
These are the most common type of team building activities. Outdoor team building is largely popular since it is highly engaging, breaks the monotony of daily work and makes learning fun as it takes place in a non-threatening and motivating environment. Outdoor team building activities include:
- Adventure sports like trekking, rapping, kayaking
- Sports like football or cricket for the team
- Outbound activities like a visit to a resort with fun games like treasure hunt, pitching the tent, cooking together activities facilitated by a trainer
- Day outing with the team to connect outside of work, such outings are not facilitated by anyone but are meant for team members to relax and get to know each other better
Indoor Team Building Activities
Indoor team building activities have the benefit of mixing learning and fun. While the focus largely remains learning, there are fun activities done indoors to engage the teams and bring about key learning. Here are some ways to conduct indoor team building activities:
- Training program on attributes of an effective team with fun activities like tower building that test the teamwork
- Psychometric assessment driven training programs like using the Everything DiSC Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team assessment to assess the current level of team-work coupled with fun activities to help teams build trust, engage in healthy conflict, drive commitment, accountability and results
- Problem solving indoor activities like board games or a team simulation that tests and enhances the team behaviors in fun games done in a training room
Teams can also learn, unwind and become more connected by undertaking social drives like teaching school children, working with differently-abled or elderly people. Such initiatives not only further a noble cause but also are great for the team members to bond and connect at a personal level.
Another great way to enhance teamwork and promote motivation are expert sessions or talks conducted by well-known personalities. Such talks are highly inspiring and engaging since they come from real-life experience that people are able to relate to. The duration of such sessions however should be shorter like 1-2 hours.
Whichever type of team building activity you chose, ensure that you have a clear goal defined. The type of team building activity depends on the purpose for it, sometimes it is just about relaxing and getting to know each other but at times team building is also about addressing complex team challenges. The methodology used in team building should align to the purpose to get the expected outcomes.