Blended learning and training have become a buzz word and the concept has grown in popularity over the past few years. Blended learning is an approach which combines multiple building blocks to create a wholesome learning intervention. This hybrid methodology combines the historical classroom-based training with online/virtual classes, eLearning videos, assessments, follow up classes, etc. to make the learning last long and more effective.
Ways to Create Effective Blended Learning & Training
- Reiterate the benefits of this approach: In order to show the success of blended learning and training, it is essential get a buy-in from the participants. For that, they must be oriented about the benefits of a blended approach. Proper, well-reasoned and to the point explanation enables in convincing them about the approach and helps in successful implementation.
- Align the program to the learning outcomes: It is essential to focus on leaning outcomes and design the approach in line with it. As blended learning and training has multiple building blocks it is essential to decide where to focus which topic and which method of learning can be used to meet that outcome. This way the program design turns out to be much more effective and implementation becomes easier.
- Consider the preference of the audience: While creating the design the crucial aspect to assess the environment of the participants and their preferences. Considering this makes the learning more relatable and enjoyable to the audience. This could be one through a quick call or a survey. This enables one to design the approach in a way the blended categories meet the needs effectively.
- LMS can act as an effective tool: This is because in a blended learning and training the LMS aid in reminding the session schedule, access to support materials, conduct assessments, measure effectiveness, facilitate discussions etc.
Benefits of Blended Learning & Training
- Classroom training becomes more efficient:
- Adopting a blended approach enables the trainer to focus on the crucial aspects during the classroom training. As the other topics can be covered through classroom or self-paced method. This allows time to address queries and engage in discussion, which will make the training effective. This also allows time to engage in activities and debrief to make the training more experiential and applicative. Classroom training also acts as a stage to check the knowledge level of all the participants and ensure all of them are in the same page.
- Saves time & Money:
- Blended learning and training help in reducing significant amount of costing spent in travel, stay, venue, etc. which is a part of classroom training. So, the reduction in time engaged in a classroom helps in reducing the cost involved.
- Increased Engagement:
- Say, simple self-paced eLearning without anyone to monitor lead to poor engagement of the learner. Similarly, a one-day classroom program doesn’t have much impact as there is no constant reminder or material to go back. Thus, blended learning and training tends to keep the learner more engaged and the benefits of different learning formats can be acquired.
Though blended learning has lot of benefits to offer, it shouldn’t be just used for the sake of it. The purpose should be well-defined, the outcomes should be clear, justification for the approach needs to be provided.