Today, employee wellbeing plays a prominent role in human resource strategies, especially since remote and hybrid working conditions blur the distinction between work and personal life. The culture of well-being has evolved beyond just physical well-being, and now includes a holistic approach to well-being, taking into account the emotional, social, financial, intellectual, and mental well-being of employees. As a result, HR teams across the globe have taken several steps to improve employee well-being, including providing access to counseling services, training managers and leaders in empathetic leadership, and implementing yoga and meditation programs during work hours. A commitment to employee well-being has enabled organizations to save costs, increase profits, and reduce productivity losses and attrition.
The Employee Wellbeing program at Strengthscape is based on a “whole person approach”. Essentially, it is an employee assistance program that applies a holistic approach. By preventing productivity losses resulting from absenteeism and a lack of motivation, the program contributes to business growth. Employee wellbeing interventions are designed to assist employees in maintaining their mental, emotional, social, and spiritual health, through various awareness and development activities.
The goal of this intervention is to support Strengthscape’s WEQUiTY (D&I) program, which is focused on creating an inclusive workplace where employees are free to express their full potential. As a result, organizations can improve their performance by prioritizing the well-being of their most important assets, their employees. Delivered by a team of counselors, psychologists, emotional wellness coaches, fitness experts, legal and financial advisors, as well as motivational speakers, the program offers an excellent opportunity to address the well-being of the workforce through several customized interventions.
- Build awareness around employee wellbeing to reduce the general stigma associated with mental health
- Develop and train a team of allies and mental health first aiders
- Maintain holistic well-being with one-to-one and group interventions along with campaigns
Importance Of Employee Well Being
Employee wellbeing is important more than ever because organizations finally realized the ability it has to transform their employees’ lives, reduce costs related to healthcare and absenteeism, and create a healthy organizational culture. The Covid-19 outbreak has surely put more stress on mental wellbeing than ever before, which will lead to more perception and empathy in the time to come.
Employers have been focusing less on particular health conditions and more on advantages such as fitness activities and permanent business establishments. After all, prevention of diseases is much cheaper than curing them, and it benefits the employees as well. The costs of employee absenteeism, detachment, and healthcare are too much to be ignored. Therefore, employers will slowly realize the potential in employee wellbeing and start looking after their employees’ physical and mental health.
Benefits of Employee Well Being
There are several benefits of adopting an anticipatory and preventative approach to wellbeing in your workplace:
- Increased Employee Commitment and productivity – Employees who feel appreciated and listened to are more likely to be more engaged and work together positively and perform to their maximum level
- Better Employee Retention – A workplace culture that encourages employee loyalty and high team spirit is likely to keep staff for longer and reduce recruitment costs
- Reduced Absenteeism – Employees who feel their wellbeing needs are being satisfied take less sick leave and are more likely to return from leave taken in a timely and continuous way
- A More Flexible Workforce – Building flexibility can help people cope better with everyday stresses at work and problems at home. Putting the right mental health and wellbeing strategies in place can help to stop problems from intensifying
- An Enhanced Reputation – Investing in employee wellbeing in the workplace depicts your values and ethics and can help you attract a high quality workforce
When employees feel they have to be at work but are not being fully efficient, then it can affect their mental health leading to burnout and exhaustion. Hence, all employers should realize the importance of employee wellbeing and take the responsibility to provide a workplace where:
- Employee wellbeing is a priority
- Staff experiencing mental health difficulties, major life events or deceiving caring responsibilities can talk openly without fear of disgrace
- There’s good communication and free access – employees are aware what support is available to them to help them stay well at work and how to reach it
- Resilient working is offered where possible and having a work-life balance is encouraged
- People know what is expected of them and have knowledge of their job roles and areas of responsibilities
- An appropriate organizational structure is in place and people feel their workloads are fair
- Employees are given space for growth and development, making it possible to make a worthwhile contribution
- The culture is universal and welcoming and employees feel able to be themselves
Employee wellbeing is important in the workplace so it should be taken care of. Creating a positive working environment can help staff manage the challenges at work. Employee well being is essential to organizational success. It affects a workplace’s culture, its resources and productivity and finally, its bottom line. Thereupon, how employees feel both mentally and physically, is in fact, an elementary foundation for business growth, establishment, sustainability and strength. It is beneficial to invest both resources and time in employee wellbeing and being positive about mental health at work.
Promote Employee Well-Being
Employees who are happy are more productive. Employee well-being in the workplace leads to increased productivity. Well-being, defined as a sense of contentment or satisfaction, is a difficult concept to grasp, especially when multiple worries are frequently associated with work. A little self-analysis every now and then is required and beneficial, not only for each of us as individuals, but also for businesses.
During times of uncertainty, both individuals and organizations tend to prioritize the bottom line. The problem is that when profits are under pressure, senior managers rarely support new initiatives such as employee wellness that do not directly impact the bottom line. It has been demonstrated numerous times that happier and more engaged employees are more productive. So, in order to increase profits, employee well-being should be prioritized on the business agenda.
Nonattendance due to illness costs businesses millions of dollars each year. Thus, regardless of how large or small your company is, the priority should be employee well-being. Employee well-being entails more than just following proper health and safety protocols. It is about creating a work environment that encourages employees to grow and allows them to reach their full potential. Investing in your employees’ well-being creates a positive environment in which productivity and development will naturally flourish. It also increases staff retention and reduces workplace stress.
Ways To Promote Employee Well -Being
There are various ways you can promote the well-being of your employees. Here are some of them:
- Comfortable Work Environment – A more relaxed, comfortable work environment can have a significant impact on the well-being of your employees. Indoor plants improve workplace ventilation. Improved air quality at work may increase employee productivity. A clean and tidy workplace may also be beneficial. An average worker spends several hours looking for papers, which often leads to increased stress at work
- Mindfulness – Mindfulness, a simple form of meditation that encourages one to focus on the present moment, has the potential to improve the well-being of your employees at work. When you implement a mindfulness program, your employees will quickly see increased productivity and lower stress levels
- Work-Life Balance Is Critical – Overworked employees can become stressed. Encouragement of a healthy work-life balance, on the other hand, may help improve employee well-being. Most employees believe that flexible work schedules increase job satisfaction
- Support Community Outreach Programs – These programs help to build trust among employees, connect organizations with the local community, and create opportunities for critical thinking, all of which lead to satisfied employees
- Encourage Employees to Walk or Cycle to Work – Walking or cycling to work improves well-being and makes employees happier than those who drive or take public transportation. This activity provides a physical workout while also significantly reducing stress
- Encourage Healthy Habits – By encouraging healthy habits at work, you can help your team move closer to a healthy lifestyle. Lunchtime walking or running groups appear to be popular ways to boost productivity these days
In recent years, there has been a significant shift in standards. Organizations today place a greater emphasis on employee well-being than ever before. It may appear that investing in employee well-being would reduce the company’s net income, but there is a compelling business case to the contrary. Employee well-being leads to less time wasted, fewer workplace mishaps, higher employee retention, higher company self-esteem, and other benefits. All of these factors have an impact on a company’s financial success.