An employee’s motivation to learn, grow and keep productivity high is greatly influenced by their environment. Creating a positive learning environment helps employees in their journey of learning and yields the best outcomes for individuals as well as the organization. In today’s age of dynamic workplaces, it becomes all the more important for organizations to invest their time and resources in creating such a positive learning environment. If employees don’t invest time in learning new skills and enhancing their knowledge, they will soon become inadequate in this fast-paced, ever-changing environment, eventually leading the company to go out of business.
Several studies have shown that organizations which have been successful in developing a learning culture have seen enhanced productivity, greater innovation, an improved and content mindset in employees, and an increased ability in their employees to adapt to change.
Ways To Keep Productivity High
Mentioned here are few methods that are sure to help you create a positive learning environment at your workplace for employees to keep productivity high
- Involve the Leaders
- Organizational behavior moves down from the top management. To develop a culture of learning at your workplace, you must ensure to procure from the leaders in your organization. When senior management and leaders set an example and model a behavior that tells others in the organization that motivation, continuous learning and critical thinking are essential to growing both at a personal and professional level, it creates a positive impact on the minds of the other employees. They start adopting what the leaders do and in the process, they inculcate constant learning into their daily lives.
- Develop a Growth Mindset
- Cultivating a growth mindset throughout the organization will help drive your employees to seek out knowledge and information farsightedly. Be it learning a new skill by doing a course or seeking the help of co-workers or reading the latest news about your industry online, employees will come to associate learning with growth and feel motivated to provide to the growth mindset of the organization.
- New hires will also imbibe the same mindset when they see everyone else around them doing the same. A growth mindset produces higher performance because people learn from their mistakes and seek out challenges actively.
- Foster Collaboration
- Collaboration is no doubt, one of the best methods of learning. We learn constantly from our interactions with the people around us everyday. At the workplace too, employees who converse, discuss and ponder on ideas are always ready to help their colleagues. They share their wisdom with colleagues freely. Working collaboratively sparks team creativity and fellowship, which in turn encourages people to be more interested in their work and their colleagues.
- Be Open to New Ideas
- A good way of making your team feel responsible, answerable and positive towards their own development and contribution in the organization is being open to any new ideas they come up with. Don’t reject a concept or idea because it seems difficult or challenging. When you include your employees in creating a positive learning environment, they feel valued and get more involved in the process.
- They feel inspired to come up with new ideas and share them with you. If the idea is great, it can turn into a new project or product, but if it fails, they learn from their mistake. Either way, there is learning for the employees and the organization.
- Recognize, Appreciate and Reward
- A growth mindset, a learning environment can be developed in your organization only when you reward what you say you value. If you want your employees to continue learning, then you must recognize and appreciate them publicly in front of their colleagues and reward them for the same. When you do so for employees who are genuinely interested in learning, you approve their efforts.
- Showing genuine recognition for your team is the quickest way to reinforce positive behavior. This way, your employees feel that their work is acknowledged and appreciated, and encourages other employees to struggle for the same recognition. They are aware what they’re doing well, and do more of it.
- Enable Your Team With Appropriate Tools
- Once you’ve established a growth mindset within your organization, you need to provide them the tools to learn, grow, develop, and challenge themselves. Keep the discussion in process when it comes to the needs, opportunities, tasks, hurdles, projects, what is working and what is not working. It is absolutely critical for creating a positive learning environment.
Creating a positive learning environment at workplace takes time. It’s not possible to do it overnight. Instead, take small steps one at a time and do it regularly. After all, maintaining a learning culture takes consistency and realization.