A vast majority of human love to hear stories and some love to tell one. In everyday life, we tell stories and hear stories for entertainment purpose but that is not the only application of storytelling. In fact, storytelling is a sharp business tool for a variety of reasons. It is an essential component in the growth, maintenance and establishment of a business. The essence of your organization is recorded in a story and corporate storytelling brings the written story to life. It is a motivating means of communication that involves people in messages and removes obstacles.
Importance of Storytelling
Corporate storytelling has an extremely wide range of uses: more engagement in the organization, having common views, new passion in the organization, developing leadership, promoting cooperation and so on. It sells the product in a more natural way by communicating without the stiffness of the traditional marketing.
- Business Setup – It is certainly important to attract employees towards your business and make connections with them when it comes to setting up a business. The manner in which the goals and the ideas of business are presented matters a lot. Presenting information in form of facts can be hard to remember by employees as they will just see it as another fact but presenting it in form of a story may bring more life to your idea and the employees are likely to relate to the story and feel a connection. Giving daily-life examples while presenting ideas is a good start to make sure that the facts included in your presentation stick with the audience.
- An Edge in Competition – Everyone will agree that the competition these days is very high. It is possible that whatever your business has to offer, is being offered by some other company as well. Even if your idea is unique and like never before, it still might be difficult to attract your audience if you have difficulty making people understand your vision. Corporate storytelling comes into the picture here, if you present your idea which speaks to audience and it is something that they feel a connection with, it is highly probable that they will buy it.
- Advertising and Marketing – The manner in which your service is advertised directly affects the growth of your business. When audience look at an advertisement of a product, they are looking for something they can relate to and make a connection with. To choose a certain product over others, they should be able to connect with it emotionally. While mentioning your vision, you can also mention the struggle you faced to bring the business to the shape it has taken today. Mentioning how your product will change lives or better the quality of life in form of a story can make your audience attach to your product emotionally. It is important that the audience understands your vision like you do or at least they are on the same page and storytelling will certainly help in this case.
- Employee’s Attitude Towards Work – Employees are very important to any organization. It is essential that the employees share your vision so that they are motivated to work in your company. When you are trying to get your employees to work for your vision, it is important to connect with them and storytelling certainly plays a big role here. You can tell stories about how you got the idea, the emotions that gave birth to your vision. Help them to connect with your company. and so that they develop a sense of higher purpose apart from just earning money. The employees are a potential part of your company’s story, a habit of engaging people in these story sessions will further help them continue it as they will share the story of your company.
- Making Decisions – While making decisions, people are inclined to check the story they have in their mind related to the decision. We can consider an example of a customer trying to buy a product. After checking the ratings and reviews of the product, he decides to buy the product. A negative story narrated by a customer can increase the risk of resisting many potential customers. Making sure that customers share a good story with your product is an important thing to take care of.
- Make Your Brand More Human – As people go out to present their ideas, they expect people to like their idea. It is quite likely that the idea benefits the people in some way. It needs to be shown, people need to understand why they should trust you. Having a story that speaks about the vision of the product and about the struggle of the founders of the company adds more life to the products. A person who is respected or admired by people, if associated with a product can attract a lot of customers to it. People want to buy from the company that cares. Corporate storytelling can be used to tell people how the brand makes them their priority and is willing to work for them. Social media pages of brands help customers interact and share their feelings about their product or service. Customers feel like someone is listening to them and they have a connection.
- Winning Trust – Gaining customer’s trust is a big deal with so many options aligned in the market and also it means lesser room for errors. In order to establish trust, the customer needs to feel that the company has actually thought about the product from customer’s perspective and that they actually cares about the customer’s opinion. Once the customer feels that the company can be trusted, they are likely to recommend it to others and keep buying the products from them. The establishment of trust starts with the first interaction of the customer with the organization. Storytelling is a powerful force that can drive people to be loyal towards the company. Good corporate storytelling will certainly welcome many positive feedbacks.
To conclude, corporate storytelling allow you to communicate in an easy and attractive way, through stories. It is a difficult task to connect with your audience but once you master storytelling, the difficulty can be decreased by a considerable margin. The supermen in the market tailor their stories to make sure that people can connect with their product and that is one of the major components of their success in the market. Corporate storytelling is all about connecting people. It revolves around creating real dialogue between people and helps to convey a marketing related message in a fresh and familiar way; the customer can understand and relate to. As long as the story is good and it can impact the audience, it is also capable of encouraging customer loyalty.