Team building is the process of transforming group of individuals into a cohesive team. A group of people working together to accomplish organizational goals and objectives. Team building helps a work group to collaboratively work in accomplishing individual and team tasks.
Team building is one of most widely used and reliable group development activities for all the organizations. The aim is to help individuals and teams work more effectively and efficiently together while building stronger relationships between the team members.
There is a long way for team development and in the initial days it has been seen that the team is unclear about its objectives and roles, low morale and motivation can discourage group which can lead to low commitment and conflicts within the team. Here is when team building plays an important role.
The team building process can be helpful in organizational development by grouping people together with common skills and providing them with a common goal. The most important facet that an organization must know regarding team effectiveness is that members should have a clear and concise knowledge of the tasks and duties they need to perform as an individual as well as a team member to increase team productivity.
In fact, it has been seen that 80% of the success of a team is due to team building and cohesive team relations and around 20% is due to knowing what needs to be done as a process. Therefore the aim to achieve organizational goals and objectives developed the need for carrying out team building activities. One of the most powerful reasons for the team building intervention is to improve collaboration, cooperation and innovation.
Team building is not a one-time act. It is a step by step process which aims at bringing a desirable change in the organization.
Here are the team building steps
- Establish effective and transparent leadership for the team
- Find out the purpose of the work to be performed by the team, required skills for the job and other requirements before forming a team
- Develop a Team of Individuals and make them aware of their roles and responsibilities
- Establish the rules and communicate them within the team in a clear and concise manner
- Conduct team related exercises to bring out the strengths of the individuals. Familiarize them with teams strengths and weaknesses
- Take necessary steps to improve communication, cooperation and trust amongst the team and to reduce conflicts if any
- Next step is to monitor the productivity and performance of the team as a whole and hold purposeful meetings from time to time
- Discuss team performance, task-related problems and discuss the future course of action with individuals and with the teams.
As this process unfolds, team members will begin to trust and support one another in order to effectively achieve organisation’s goal. By making proper use of team building experience we can help team to build ownership for the goals as well as commitment to the success of the team. It will motivate the team members and will build stronger working relationships within the team and organization. The overall outcome is team’s creativity, motivation and enthusiasm which will eventually increase the productivity of all the individuals. Thus, increasing the productivity of the organization.