Negotiation is a mode by which people resolve their differences. It is a method by which adjustment or compromise is reached while avoiding quarrel or conflict. Negotiation is a process of settlement of differences through a mutual give and take medium in both realms of business and personal life. Negotiation skills are not always inborn, they have to be developed through learning and can be very useful in resolving any differences between others and you. Negotiation is simply a mode of settling disagreements by avoiding conflicts and reaching a common conclusion. Thus, in this article we will discuss about negotiation skills importance.
Negotiation skills are skills that help an individual negotiate effectively or reach to an agreement in conflicting situations.
The various negotiation skills are –
- Analyzing a problem – Effective negotiators must have the skill to analyze a problem taking into account the interest of each party. Identifying the problems of both sides can help finding a solution.
- Getting ready – Before entering a situation that requires negotiating, a skilled negotiator plan for it beforehand. He studies about the relationship between the two parties, their past negotiations so as to find areas of agreement as past outcomes can help in current negotiations.
- Give attention – Negotiators have the skill to listen attentively to the other party during the discussion. This involves verbal communication and also reading body language. Active listening is very important to find areas of compromise.
- Controlling emotions – It is extremely important for a negotiator to keep his emotions in control during a negotiation, otherwise it can lead to emotional outbursts and jeopardize relations.
- Effective communication – Negotiators must have the ability to communicate clearly during the negotiation or else it can lead to misunderstandings. A skilled negotiator must be able to state his reasoning and the desired outcome.
- Teamwork – Effective negotiators must have the skill to work together as a team in collaboration with each other so as to reach an acceptable solution.
- Social skills – Effective negotiators have strong social skills to maintain a good relationship with all those who are involved in the negotiation. This helps in maintaining a positive atmosphere during a negotiation.
Importance of negotiation skills
Negotiation skills importance is present in every sphere of life, but these skills play a more important role in business and organizational settings as compared to our daily lives. The ability to negotiate effectively is highly appreciated in today’s competitive market. Business suffers a great loss due to poor negotiation skills while they can increase their profitability with better negotiation skills.
You negotiate with your teachers for grades, with your employers for salary etc. This is the reason why effective negotiation skills are very important in our daily lives. Being a good negotiator helps to improve relationships because both the parties can strike a mutual deal without hurting each other’s sentiments. Instead of spending hours arguing with your work force, monitoring their work, you can reach a common ground and remove differences with effective negotiation. Being a good negotiator helps you to achieve your goals and thus negotiation plays an important role in career advancement. Good negotiation skills help in every sphere of life be it personal or professional. Every individual should learn the skills of effective negotiation to lead a calm and peaceful life. Negotiation is very important for better bonding between individuals and leading a happy life.
The following are some reasons why negotiation skills are very important in the business world.
- Beneficial to both leader and follower – The ability to negotiate is beneficial to everyone be it a leader or an employee. While the ability to negotiate is an important part of business meetings and accomplishing contracts, its benefits extend far beyond.
- Win – win situations – A win – win negotiation is an agreement between parties after taking into account each other’s interests. Finding a deal which makes everyone happy and satisfied is not easy but this is exactly what a good negotiator does.
- Improves the final result – The main aim of a negotiation is to get the best deal possible for you and your organization.
- Build respect – In order to get the utmost productivity out of your employees, it is very important that your employees and others whom you negotiate with respect you.
Strong negotiators follow a sensible and emphatic approach to their communication. Using an assertive communication style during a negotiation session will help in elaborating your chances of negotiating successful end results for your business. Assertive negotiators are both self – assured and compassionate. They keep discussions going on so as to promote fruitful outcomes. Effective negotiators are truthful rather than sentimental. General negotiation skills can be learned and applied accordingly, and negotiation skills can be very beneficial in resolving differences that arise between you and others.
As it is evident, negotiation skills are not always born, they also need to be developed and enhanced. Acquiring good negotiation skills is not only useful in our professional lives but is also helpful in our daily life style. Negotiation skills teach us to be patient and understand the others needs and opinions, while giving importance to our own and find out a solution that benefits all. Negotiation skills importance is a crucial aspect specially at workplace. Such skills are considered as highly essential for effective teamwork, decision making and managing conflicts. Thus, negotiation skills should be developed to improve the quality of our communication and decisions.