In the previous post, we discussed the dimension of Personal Development.
Let us understand more about the Leadership global dimension that emerges from Strengthscape’s Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire.
Leadership dimension primarily measures the ability to gather people together to work on a project or pursue an idea. A leader who is willing to put in the effort to identify the feelings and intentions of his team, is able to inspire enthusiasm in them. Influencing others and resolving conflict amongst team members are important aspects of leadership. Clarity of thought, one’s own, and of others, by listening carefully is expected of leaders in all walks of life
The two global factors that constitute the Leadership dimension are:
Empathy and Lucidity: Empathy is:
- about putting oneself in another person’s shoes and understanding what is on his or her mind, all the while staying true to oneself.
- similar to clear-sightedness, empathy helps a person understand the big picture and read between the lines, in terms of psychology (such as figuring out the unspoken goal of someone trying to sound convincing) or facts.
- about needing a person to listen well, be observant, and be insightful—implicit messages are deciphered in this way.
Empathy makes the world a better place.
Lucidity helps leaders make themselves comprehensible to their teams
Mediation and Influence: This trait:
- evaluates the ability to develop arguments to motivate others
- inspires enthusiasm, thanks to a good understanding of who people are and how they react.
- also refers to an ability to reconcile diverging points of view in situations of conflict.
Mediation helps bring people together.
Influence makes them take actions supportive of the leader
Sample score on the dimension of Leadership
A high score on the dimension of Leadership has a positive impact as:
- Empathy makes it possible to become more aware of their team’s views and their needs
- Lucidity is likely to help convey the leader’s message clearly
- Mediation may help in creating more convergent actions in a team
- Influence may result in more followers of the leader’s vision
A low score on this dimension implies:
- Likelihood of a gap between the leader and the team
- Lack of clarity amongst team members if the leader is unable to deliver messages lucidly
- Possibilities of more conflicts amongst team members, if the leader is unable to help mediate divergent views in the team
- Low influence on team members to sign on to the leader’s vision
In future articles we shall discuss the various lessons that are available to improve oneself on both factors of Leadership