5 Steps to Excel in Training Content Development
Organizations find it challenging to maintain their employees in the high performance, especially in this ever-changing competitive environment. The traditionally followed approaches don’t hold the same level of impact as it used to in the current scenario. So, trainings are not seen as just one of thing, or a tick in the box. Organizations are looking for a more wholistic approach that combines various building blocks to address and tap on the strengths of everyone.
In order to master the training content development, the focus needs to be on certain aspects.
They are discussed as follows:
- Set the learning objectives right: Learning objectives typically mean the base structure for creating the chapters and activities. Learning objectives also guides the content writer throughout the process of content development. So, it is essential to clearly frame the Learning Objectives right at the start. SO, LOs will be the frame for the content team to select and plan the content and training methods. Some steps to keep in mind while writing learning objectives:
- The learning objectives should use simple language and Bloom’s Taxonomy
- Keep in mind the skill gaps the training is going to address
- Mention the specific elements the participant will become efficient post the training
- Highlight which of the objectives are measurable
- Pre-analysis: In order to create quality training content that will be most appropriate to the audience, it is good to do a pre-analysis or pre-assessment with these participants. This gives an opportunity to assess the skill gaps, expectations and the purpose of the training and development. This could be done through assessment, surveys, quick calls, etc. This way there could be some additional information can be provided to the participants.
- Structuring the content based on audience need: Being the content developer, often one can come across a lot of content and related information. But it is essential to decide which is crucial to the target audience and focus only on those. The training content developer should keep in mind that audience shouldn’t feel bombarded and not to overload with information. To do this effectively, the content developer can begin with listing down the topics and brainstorm with the team on the duration/ weightage per topic. This gives a structure to the entire training plan. Any additional topics identified can be provided to the participants as learning materials or references and not covered during the training.
- Review the existing content repository: While starting to work on any new content, it is always good to review the repository. This allows an opportunity to re-purpose or reuse the already existing materials. Reviewing the existing materials provides a clarity or direction and also saves some amount of time and rework.
- Discuss with the SME & Schedule proper reviews: Discussing with the SME is essential to check if the understanding of the topic is right and get any additional details. It is also essential to schedule reviews to avoid any miss out, or rework at the last minute.
These are some of the few points to focus on to excel in training content development.
Contact us if you are interested in a business training program that is tailored to the needs of your organization or team.