WHAT ARE THE ESSENTIALS OF ASSERTIVE LEADERSHIP?
Assertiveness is a confident behavior. A person who is assertive is not afraid of saying what he wants or believes. Being assertive means to put across one’s viewpoint in a composed or positive way without being offensive or accepting wrong.
Assertive people are capable of proving their point of view without upsetting themselves or others, which is a key attribute of an effective leader. Assertiveness is an important aspect of leadership. By itself, assertiveness may not be a leader’s singular “secret” weapon trait, but it is a very valuable characteristic.
Leaders who are observed as being more assertive are also observed as being more honest and having higher morality than those who are not. Let us discuss more about assertiveness in leadership in this article.
ADVANTAGES OF AN ASSERTIVE LEADERSHIP
Assertiveness is a highly valuable characteristic of a leader. Leaders who are identified as being more assertive have higher integrity than those who are less assertive. Your leadership style sets the tone for the team and the results you will yield.
When a leader is assertive, he has a clear idea of how to get work done. It guarantees that you are consistent and understood by those you lead. One of the major benefits of being assertive is that it helps a leader to become self – confident.
He gains a better understanding of who he is and the value that he offers. Assertiveness in leadership provides several benefits that are helpful in the workplace and other areas of life.
FOLLOWING ARE SOME ADVANTAGES OF AN ASSERTIVE LEADER
- Connects and communicates with everyone – Successful and assertive leaders take care to connect with everyone at all levels of the organization. They make themselves available to everyone. Assertive leaders communicate in such a way that they get their point across without attacking anyone. They are able to understand their own as well as others views and emotions and communicate their thoughts assertively but effectively.
- Gives honest feedback – Assertive leaders deliver feedback with sensitivity and in a helpful way, which can encourage people to succeed. It is important for leaders to give honest feedback to their followers. Leaders who are assertive do not hesitate in giving criticism and are always true to their followers and the organization.
- Values himself and his rights – Assertive leaders need to gain a good understanding of themselves. They should have a strong belief in their inherent value which is the basis of self – confidence and assertive behavior. This helps them to recognize that they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect and thus gives them the confidence to stick to their opinions and protect them and remain true to their wants and needs.
- Uses good judgement to make decisions – Leaders who are assertive are perceived as having good judgement and have more chances of being successful. Collecting all the facts, careful analysis, examining trends, help leaders to improve their judgement. Another practice that helps leaders in this process of improvement, is involving others in the decision-making process. If others are involved and they feel encouraged to comment, better decisions emerge.
- Walk the talk – Sometimes assertive leaders see the need for other people to change their behavior, but they themselves are not affected from the change. The most effective, assertive leaders copy the changes they desire in others. They are confident in their opinions and abilities and practice what they preach. Assertive leaders strongly believe themselves and express the same to others.
- Maintains excellent relationships – An assertive leader who is admired and respected by others, can influence them to take on difficult tasks while a leader who is disrespected and not liked by others, tries his best to exert influence but all he gets is resistance. Healthy relationships can help to cover these gaps.
- Negotiate successfully – Assertive leaders are able to realize the value their opponent’s position and thus mutually understand each other. They are better doers and problem solvers. Assertive leaders feel privileged to do whatever it takes to find the best solution to the problems that they confront. They are high on social skills and self awareness and thus are able to understand both one’s own and others perspectives, and thus reach to conclusions that suits both.
- Are less anxious and stressed – Assertive leaders are self – assured and do not feel threatened when things don’t work out as per their plans or as expected. Assertive leaders hardly compromise their needs and wants and give primary importance to themselves. In the face of emotional conflicts or stressful situations, they are less stressed and are able to make quick and effective decisions easily.
Assertive leadership is a wonderful quality that urges people to achieve more. By using the above behaviors, one can turn assertiveness into exceptional leadership.
Confident and assertive leaders often demand respect from their followers, helping them stand out from everyone else. Leaders who possess these assertive skills can complete tasks more efficiently and with less hassle.
Confidence, organization and people skills are essential for great leadership, but they do not mean much if a leader does not know how to assert himself. Assertiveness is a crucial trait for leaders as long as it is applied correctly.
Being assertive means believing and being able to stand up for your own views or other’s, without being aggressive Assertive leadership is within reach if one is willing to put forth the effort and learn the essential behaviors. Assertiveness is a wonderful trait in itself, but it also has the power to magnify many other leadership development.
Being more assertive can lead to a more fruitful life. It can improve relationships with friends and family and can completely change other aspects such as personal or professional.
Assertiveness in leadership not only improve self – respect by being assertive but also helps earn respect from others. An assertive leader will increase his confidence in multiple areas of life. An assertive leader is always more positive and has good interactions with others.
We can say that an assertive leader expresses his thoughts, feelings, and beliefs in a direct, honest, and appropriate way.