The word communication is derived from the Latin word “communicare” which means “to share”. Communication is a process that includes the transference and understanding of meaning. In organizational terms, communication is the sending and receiving of messages among interrelated individuals to achieve common goals within an organizational setting. It is a procedure which includes exchanging of ideas, views, facts and emotions between two or more than two persons. Simply, communication is the act of conveying meanings from one individual or group to another using mutually understood networks.
Communication is a skill that plays a very important role at workplace since ability to communicate effectively is central to healthy organizational relations and ultimately organizational success. Thus, training in one such skill is a key aspect of any business or organization. In this article we will discuss in detail about communication skills training.
Communication Skills in Organizations
Communication plays a very important role in organizations. Business communication refers to information shared between people within and outside an organization, performed for the commercial benefit of the organization. It can also be defined as sending and receiving of information within a business by its people. Communication skills involve the ability to be able to make formal as well as informal, and verbal and non-verbal communication effectively. Communication skills are an essential tool in achieving productivity and building effective teams in organizations and hence communication skills are important to the success of any organization. They help companies to be productive and function effectively. Employees who possess these skills can sustain healthy work relations and are able to produce good performance. Since communication takes place in three directions: upward, downward and lateral, communication skill is the ability to carry out communication in all these directions effectively.
Communication Skills Training
Communications training or communication skills training refers to various types of training to develop necessary skills for effective communication. Training in communication skills is important to all organizations. Trainers of communication skills develop communication skills employees already have, rather than focusing on what is absent, while trainees try to alter their communication style to be more efficient and productive.
Communication skills training focuses on the following key skills that every effective communicator must possess:
- Active listening – Active listening is one of the most important skills to carry out effective communication. Being observant and a good listener is very important in verbal communication. An individual should be able to show interest in what is being said and try not to interrupt.
- Being Empathetic and Rapport Building – People who communicate with a cordial tone always have the advantage since we are unknowingly attracted to people who are friendly and make us feel good. Also, understanding the perspectives and emotions of other people is also important to good communication.
- Being Precise and Unambiguous – People who talk too much and always want to control the conversation, are not much liked and few people want to be around them. Being precise about what one wishes to communicate is important as it helps in easy understanding and prevents misinterpretations.
- Being Confident – If you appreciate your true abilities, confidence comes from within. Speaking with confidence includes the right words to speak, the tone of your voice, your gestures and also your eye contact. It is important to be confident in one’s beliefs and opinions and express them in an assertive manner.
Purpose of Communication Skills Training
Communication skills are important in every aspect of the work environment and training in communication skills is essential as communication skills have to be developed and improved continuously to be effective in business.
The purpose of communication skills training are –
- Healthy Industrial Relations – Effective communication skills help foster mutual understanding and maintain peace and harmony at work. Training is provided in communication skills that results in satisfied employees at workplace.
- Effective Performance – Communication skills training also aims to enhance performance at work. Good communication enhances self confidence and ultimately performance.
- Facilitates Leadership – Leaders who possess good communication skills are able to interact well with followers, guide and inspire others and are able to carry out other leadership functions effectively.
- Decision Making – Decision making is one of the most important aspects of any business or organization. Training in communication skills plays an important role as it helps leaders as well as followers express their opinions and take decisions collectively, in a participative manner.
- Cooperation and Collaboration – Cooperation and collaboration are important aspects in organizations. Training in communication skills helps employees to communicate assertively in a team situation and to get the work done.
Communication skills training thus plays an important role in a number of aspects in work settings.
Importance of Communication Skills Training
Being an efficient communicator needs real skills. Communication skills have to be developed and improved continuously to be effective in business and hence communication skills training is very important for successful collaboration in the workplace.
- The main purpose of communication skills training is to teach employees the basics of effective workplace communication. At the end of the training, the trainees are able to understand the importance and benefits of workplace communication and enhance their communication skills, and thus maintain healthy work relations and foster performance.
- Efficient communication is the basis of efficient teamwork. Communication skills training teaches the trainees to be interactive which involves both speaking and listening and being empathetic to the emotions and opinions of others.
- Communication skills training teaches employees how to control their emotions and consider the needs of others. These programs are designed to help the employees learn the secrets of growth during change and ensuring a successful future for their organization.
- Communication skills training programs gives employees practical skills to make communication with others more effective. The activities involved increases awareness as to the importance of effective communication, and the trainees learn how positive communication impacts relationships in an organization.
- Communication skills training helps participants understand different people and different styles and learn how to communicate properly and appropriately with each behavioural pattern. Once the trainees learn to deal with different behavioural styles, it makes it easier for them to establish trust and rapport resulting in more honest relationship.
Communication is a key aspect of any successful business and organization. Training in communication skills is important as communication forms the core of healthy work relations and good performance. It is important to possess good communication skills for both leaders as well as employees to progress and achieve common goals, and thus training programs in effective communication skills serve the purpose.