Communication is the essence of business and management process. Business communication refers to learning that is shared between people within and outside a business organization, performed for the commercial advantage of the company. It can also be defined as the spreading of information within a business by its people. Business communication is communication that takes place between two or more parties relating to business affairs. According to Brennan, “Business communication is the expression, channeling, receiving and interchanging of ideas in commerce and industry.” In the opinion of W.H. Meaning, “The exchange of ideas, news and views in connection with the business among the related parties is called business communication.” There are a number of aspects that play an important role in this exchange of views and ideas and negotiation is one of them. Thus, in this article we are going to discuss about negotiation skills in business communication.
Importance of negotiation in business communication
Negotiation is a discussion among people which takes into account everybody’s needs and interests so that no one is at loss. It is very important in business communication to avoid conflicts and find an alternative that suits all. Good negotiations are very important as they contribute much to business success and build better relations and the aim of any negotiation is to reach to an agreement that results in mutual benefits. Negotiation is a give and take process which means giving concessions to the other party which means little to you but means a lot to them. Good negotiation means leaving each party satisfied and willing to do business with each other in future. In today’s competitive market, good negotiation is highly valued. For those who don’t possess skills for negotiation in business communication, these skills can be developed through practice and various strategies.
Negotiation strategies are skills employed by negotiators to gain an advantage. A good negotiator makes efforts to achieve successful outcome that is beneficial to both the parties. Your potential to negotiate will make people want to work with you. Learning how to negotiate and improving on your skills, is an important part of business communication. The capability to negotiate well is the key to personal and business success. Using effective business communication and interpersonal skills is the key strategy that any negotiator uses to get what he wants. Another strategy to improve business communication skills is to learn how to negotiate with your response. The manner in which you learn to improve your negotiation skills in business communication is by practicing it. Grab every opportunity, learn how to negotiate and become skilled. Negotiation is simply a game and you have to keep playing and applying strategies until you learn to win every time.
Negotiation skills in business communication
Negotiation skills are useful to businesses to resolve any differences that arise between different people in a business setting. All workers rely on their communication skills so that the negotiations go smoothly and hence they need to adopt certain skills for a successful negotiation. Negotiation skills are very important in business and is one of the key skills assessed when recruiting employees and thus negotiation skills are a desirable asset for job candidates. Effective negotiation requires a collection of communication and interpersonal skills to get a desired result. Mentioned below are some of skills required to negotiate in business communication –
- Interpersonal Skills – Interpersonal skills involve proficiency in managing relationships and the ability to interact well with others. A person with interpersonal skills is effective in leading change, has good communication skills and can resolve conflicts through cooperation and negotiation.
- Active Listening – Active listening is another negotiation skill in business communication. An active listener will not react impulsively in a conflicting situation, but rather will listen actively as to what everybody has to say, try to identify underlying causes and then come to a conclusion.
- Emotional Control – Emotional control refers to the ability to control, redirect disruptive moods and emotions and express them appropriately. Emotional control depends on an individual’s ability to exercise restraint and control impulses during emotional expression, which is an important factor in business communication.
- Collaboration and team work – Collaboration and the ability to carry out effective teamwork is an important negotiation skill in business communication. The ability to take decisions or carry out a discussion in a participative manner, taking into account and giving value to views and opinions of everyone involved is a great asset for effective negotiation.
- Empathy – Empathy or the ability to share someone else’s feelings or experiences as if they were one’s own, is another negotiation skill. It is the proficiency of understanding the emotional state of mind of others and dealing accordingly. People high on empathy are self disciplined, competitive and initiative. They are resourceful and determined.
- Patience – Patience is another negotiation skill which is very important in business communication. A person who possesses patience is able to respond rather than react and is not impulsive in taking decisions. Communication is effective when both persons or groups communicate patiently and are able to carry out a peaceful conversation.
- Confidence – Confidence in one’s own beliefs and opinions is important in negotiation in business communication. While negotiating, an individual must put forth one’s views with complete confidence and assertiveness and reach an agreement or conclusion which is beneficial to all.
The ability to attract deals requires skills, knowledge and awareness. Negotiating effectively is accepting the situations you are faced with. When it comes to negotiation, most of us are not very good at estimating our abilities. If you are a good negotiator, you can increase your business dealings and make it a successful endeavor. Negotiation skills in business communication are important as these are some of the major skills that are assessed today before recruiting employees. Some people already possess such skills while others can continually practice to develop these skills for effective communication and performance.