The Charter of innovation is collectively suggested term for legal requirements, educational guidelines, access to knowledge and structural requirements for a knowledge motivated society. It is important to know that innovation is an integral part for the long term feasibility of any business. Having a comprehensive chartered innovation plan in place which is supported by senior leadership, can help reduce insecurity and ensure that the idea management projects tackle all the important objectives.
A lack of proper executive leadership is one of the most common reasons for the failure of any innovation. Regardless of the road taken, the destination is the same which states that innovation initiates splutter and a sense of thrilling subdues. One approach to deal with this problem is to create a corporate charter of innovation at every workplace.
An innovation charter should explain where the company stands today; where the company sees itself in a few years and what role does innovation play in this process. The clarity about the place innovation occupies within the framework of the company, will help select the appropriate innovation programs.
Types of Charter of Innovation for businesses
Business innovation occurs when companies implement new ideas, services or products with the goal of boosting their bottom line. The key element of innovation is that it drives good revenue for the company. Business innovation can, but does not always have to, involve the creation of a new product or service. There are many examples of the same in business, including:
- Product innovation means creating a completely new product or service which is adjacent to a business’s core offering.
- Process innovation means designing a new way to become more efficient in the core business.
- Business model innovation means introducing a new way of making and saving money.
- Delivery innovation means implementing a new way of interacting with the customers.
These types of business innovations enables the companies to become more efficient, forward-thinking, and more profitable. That could involve aspects like creating forward-thinking and collaborative innovation labs/workshops. Or it could be implementing innovation programs to trigger the creative energy of the employees and execute the best ideas.
Benefits of Charter of Innovation to the organization :-
Following are the main reasons why a charter of innovation could encourage employee innovation and involvement.
- A charter of innovation plan outlines the major aspects of the company’s innovative strategy. The main objective of the corporate innovation charter is to outline what innovation means for that specific organization. It also helps to identify and support the most efficient innovation tool.
- Helps maintain order even when authority is absent.
- the innovation team should create an Innovation Charter and asks the CEO to explicitly endorse the strategy. With this endorsement, the innovation team can declare executive support even when the attention of the executive leaders will shift to other priorities.
- Provides an explicit authorization to get involved in innovation activities. Corporate innovation can only succeed if it’ll expand from the traditional R&D or product development units to other departments as well. Realistically, not everyone in a company will be willing to assume the extra load of effort that participation in innovation activities demands.
- When done right, business charter of innovation takes stock of where the market is going due to potential disruptors or changing customer demands. Businesses use that information to make strategic changes. Those changes can include building a product or service similar to what new startups are making, buying it from others in the industry or partnering with them.
- A lot of business innovation happens by making existing business processes less costly, less time-consuming to complete, and more sustainable. Those changes save time and make it easier for an organization to adapt to industry shifts with agility, which cushions against volatility and risk.
- It promotes talent attraction and retention because it is in fast-moving companies that employees believe they believe have a bright future.
- Consumers are more willing to buy from companies they perceive to be innovative and socially conscious.
Charter of innovation is the backbone of every successful company. It is what sets any business apart from its competition and helps it grow and prosper. To continue the growth and success of a company, we must be able to anticipate what the market needs and stay ahead of the trends. Being able to do this keeps your business on top and thriving. The common thread among industry leaders is that they are innovators. Being innovative in products, services, and business practices allows a company to face challenges and thrive in struggling markets.
A company that thrives in the industry and grows despite market challenges is the goal of most company leadership. Representing innovative habits as a leader, working to create an innovative company culture, and being prepared for mistakes is the key to boosting innovation and creating this kind of company.
Ways to boost innovation at workplace:-
Identifying the right leader for presenting the charter of innovation at an organization level is one of the crucial steps for organizations who are looking to constrain a culture of innovation. Driving innovative culture is not like running a business, it needs a proper strategic approach that encourages all the employees to participate in innovative initiatives. The right leader should :-
- Be a likely victor with imaginative thinking, holistic approach with a balance of intuition and rational judgment.
- Create positive beliefs in the employees about bringing innovative changes in the organization.
- Create lively work culture where innovation is the best way to enhance productivity.
- Build in the confidence in employees to express creative ideas.
- Encourage innovative ideas to take risks and learn from failures.
- Build the right innovation culture:-
- The journey of innovation that results in a sustainable adoption depends on multiple factors. In order to make innovation everyone’s job, companies need to develop key objectives in order to transform the company to meet the challenges of a fast changing future. Employees should feel challenged, engaged and valued when they are encouraged to innovate which in turn impacts the employee performance positively and gives job satisfaction.
- Any organization that is about to build a charter of innovation needs to establish the processes for high-quality learning conversations, social platforms and idea management tools to gain a noteworthy improvement in creating and capturing ideas.
- Companies always have a demanding need to work with odd suspects. The collaborative approach is remarkably effective at building harmony, increasing levels of motivation and participation, pulling teams to work together and training the members. It provides a productive floor for experimentation resulting in more creative ideas.
- Introducing collaboration tools in an organization strives to bring people together and provides an up to date workplace for sharing ideas, building unity and fostering an innovation culture. Artificial intelligence and machine learning applications are taking the collaboration to the next level and allowing people and machines work together to enhance productivity.
- Invest time in creative nourishment:-
- The purpose of charter of innovation is achieved when organizations are able to build an environment for employees to encourage innovative work culture at their workplace. Organizations innovation capability comes down to its talent pool and its commitment to building knowledge and competencies, one employee at a time.
- Be respective of failures:-
- Failure is a part of the innovation and learning process. The essence of charter of innovation is that it takes multiple experiments to successfully generate new products and better solutions. Organizations should respect every failure, when employees do not have the fear of failure, they will be ready to take risks for innovation and come up with great innovative ideas.
- Recognize and reward employee talent:-
- An organization should always focus on the effort involved by an employee in the innovation of ideas and reward to create a culture of innovation in the workplace. In this manner, the employees get motivated and keep distributing their ideas. The reward system must be designed in such a way that the risk taken to present an idea should be valued more than its outcome.
To conclude, innovation is not just limited to a group or a department, it can occur anywhere within the organization. It makes the workflow processes easier with a new practical approach which is cost effective and with a new solution. The bottom line in creating a charter of innovation for the company is to create a culture of innovation in the workplace.
A culture of innovation can be the difference between success and failure in today’s competitive business world. Fostering a culture of innovation comes with a benefit of improved employee commitment and better solutions to business problems.