Psychometric tests help in assessing the personality, attitude, skill, etc of the individual. They are basically a series of questions which are timed and are often numerical, verbal, logical in nature. Most of the organizations use these psychometric tests to recruit candidates because these tests give a clearer picture of the skill set.
This will help the employer to understand the potential of the candidate and make an informed decision about whether to hire him/her. There are different types of psychometric tests but usually, they are divided into two broad categories: the ability test and the personality test
Ability test assesses what can an individual do i.e. test his/her ability on various domains. It incorporates a lot of different tests like numerical reasoning test, verbal reasoning tests, logical reasoning tests, mechanical reasoning tests, critical thinking test, etc.
- Numerical Reasoning Test – The objective of this test is to assess the candidate’s ability to understand, interpret, and manipulate numbers. The test questions are in form of numbers or numerical information which are represented either in the form of graphs, charts, tables, etc. Candidates usually have to understand the pattern and interpret the meaning out of it and then select the answer. These tests are generally used when an organization has to hire accountants, analysts, etc.
- Verbal Reasoning Test – The objective of this test is to assess the candidate’s ability to understand and interpret verbal/written material. This will majorly analyse whether the candidate can interpret a passage, assess whether statements from the passage are true or false, etc.
- Logical Reasoning Test – The objective of this test is to assess the candidate’s ability to understand different patterns, trends, etc. Also, interpret the meaning from the abstract information. This kind of tests usually have patterns, designs, a sequence of images, series, etc. These tests are usually, used when the organization wants to hire someone who has to solve problems effectively, understand how different patterns and elements are interrelated, how to manage new situations. These tests are used for the people who have applied for the leadership and managerial positions.
- Mechanical Reasoning Test – The objective of this test is to assess the candidate’s technical or mechanical ability. It mainly assesses whether the candidate is able to understand how things work mechanically. This kind of tests usually have questions related to pulleys, gears, conveyor belt, weights, etc. This test is used when an organization wants to hire an engineer.
- Critical Thinking Tests – The objective of the test is to assess the candidate’s ability to think critically and interpret the information. It focuses on analyses, reasoning, and interpretation. This kind of test usually has arguments, assumptions. Candidate has to identify the assumptions, infer meaning and generate information. This test is usually taken by the people who have applied for the managerial position, analysts, lawyers, statisticians, etc.
The main objective of this test is to understand the characteristics of the candidate and analyse how he/she will behave in different situations. There are different personality tests like NEO PI-R, Occupational Personality Questionnaire, etc.