WHAT IS SELF ASSERTION?
Let us understand more about the Self Assertion global dimension that emerges from Strengthscape’s Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire
Self Assertion encompasses several traits that help people stand up for themselves in their social and professional lives. Furthermore, people who are more aware of their strengths and capabilities, know what they want and are in a better position to make the right decisions in their lives. Also, people who are more attuned to the subtle signals that indicate the need of others, tend to have more fulfilling relationships
THREE GLOBAL FACTORS THAT CONSTITUTE SELF ASSERTION
- Interpersonal skills: This is a measure of one’s ability to form and maintain relationships with others. While some of us are able to form multiple relationships, we may lack the ability to maintain them. One may also feel ill-equipped at forming new relationships but may be good at maintaining existing ones. The key is to find the right balance. It is important to remain authentic at all times. People who have good relationship skills can easily share their emotions and feelings. Hence, they feel comfortable in groups and communicate without difficulty.
- Assertiveness: Being assertive is the ability to express oneself and make one’s voice heard without being unnecessarily aggressive. Assertive people are able to assimilate into any group very easily. They are also able to share their feelings and opinions more effectively. Furthermore, people who are effective on this factor are always aware of the situation which demands them to be assertive. Without this awareness, being excessively assertive can be seen as being arrogant.
- Self-confidence: Simply put, this is having a strong belief in ourselves and our abilities. This belief helps also helps us tackle challenges and unexpected events without any self-doubt. In addition, it helps in a significant way to surpass our own objectives. At times, this may be seen by others as an inflated sense of the self.
POSITIVE IMPACT OF SELF ASSERTION
- Firstly, one becomes capable of working effectively in a team. They enjoy working with other people.
- Secondly, contextual awareness is high. As such, they know the depth of their relationships
- Similarly, they also know when to be assertive as much as when not to be
- Also, self-confidence helps in overcoming challenges and setting new limits of their capabilities.
NEGATIVE IMPACT OF SELF ASSERTION
- Working in a team, or with other people may be a challenge. They would be better off working on tasks on their own. Minimizing the number of interactions with others, or making it possible to interact with a minimal number of people, would increase the effectiveness
- They may end up agreeing with an opinion or a decision to avoid a discussion. This is not in their best interest or of others involved.
- Low self-confidence may result in giving up attempting tasks that are very much achievable with their knowledge, skills, and capabilities.
In future articles, we shall discuss the various lessons that are available to improve oneself on all the three factors of Self Assertion.
Contact us if you are interested in self assertion related training program that is tailored to the needs of your organization or team.